53-54mm or 2 1/8-2 3/16 Socket?

Mini-T

Sasquatch
Hey all I was trying to do the brakes on my CJ when I found out that I need a huge socket. I tried to measure it but I can't get the ruler right on it. It looks like 53-54mm or 2 1/8-2 3/16. Anyone have one or know where I can get one? CT or PS is no help and I didn't see one in the PA catalog.

J33P

Hey all I was trying to do the brakes on my CJ when I found out that I need a huge socket. I tried to measure it but I can't get the ruler right on it. It looks like 53-54mm or 2 1/8-2 3/16. Anyone have one or know where I can get one? CT or PS is no help and I didn't see one in the PA catalog.

Are you talking about the hub nut? If so, there is a special thin walled, deep socket. I have one I use for my CJ2A and I am pretty sure it's the same size.

I can always measure it and lend it to you. I believe it's 2 1/8

Mini-T

Sasquatch
That's probably it. It looks like I need a new set of nuts too. the ones on there are a little mangled on the corners.

R

Root Moose

Alternatively, take a drift and tap it lightly with a bodyman's hammer to move the nut on/off. If it's the nut I'm thinking of you will be using how the bearings move versus any torque reading to set the bearing preload anyway.

That'll get the job done till you can source the correct tool for the next time.

Btw, PA does have these - that's where I got mine.

HTH

J33P

Alternatively, take a drift and tap it lightly with a bodyman's hammer to move the nut on/off. If it's the nut I'm thinking of you will be using how the bearings move versus any torque reading to set the bearing preload anyway.

That'll get the job done till you can source the correct tool for the next time.

Btw, PA does have these - that's where I got mine.

HTH

They "Used" to. Well that's what I found out when I went in about 4 months ago.

J33P

That's probably it. It looks like I need a new set of nuts too. the ones on there are a little mangled on the corners.

The ones that were on the axles were mangled too from someone usinga chisel to tighten them. I used the grider to smooth it out, then the socket went on, but I think I have an extra set. of nuts' washers as I didn't realize the kit came with anough for both sides so I bought 2.

I can check tonight.

J33P

HEre is the nut/washer sset I have
Products Model: 16710.01
Manufacturer: Omix-Ada
Fits Vehicle: 1945-86
Jeep CJ

Spindle Nut & Washer Kit for Jeep CJ 1945-86

Cost me 10$

I even found an extra set for one side, I have no idea why I ordered so many. I'd drop them off at your work but I can't get away from the office, if I can, I'll let you know, I'll just keep the bag with teh socket/parts in my Jeep so I'll have it with me just in case.

N

Nickd

If I can toss in on this:

I wouldn't use a punch and hammer to re-install the nuts. They need to be torqued to a specific value (as the tire is spun back and forth) to set them up correctly.

Undertightening will likely cause a 'wobbler' and overtightening could wreck your bearings.

For the cost of the socket (not too mention you need to use it every time you change or machine your rotors), and nuts, it's totally worth buying.

I'd check the PA catalogue thoroughly, but if that doesn't work, a Napa or Auto Parts Extra type store normally carry them on those racks of specialty tools....brand: MD or something like that? red packaging......

Good luck,
Nick

J33P

No, not heading to the meeting.

I have to head to the est end for 9:00pm with a stop at 7:30 at Merivale and Baseline. I don't know what time the ovo meeting goes to but I may be able to swing by before hand depending on where it is.