'92 4Runner-Audio Install

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Well, finally getting back at this, it soooo sucks driving a truck with no radio in it what-so-ever!

Instead of just lifting the passenger side carpet, I totally removed the carpet as I had a minor (ok, quite major) oil spill in the passenger side rear floor area. I am very surprised to find the floors of a '92 body in absolutely *mint* shape. Given that all 4 corners of the body are rotting out, I really expected a nasty surprise or two with the floor. They are clean enough to eat off of. What a bitch it was to get that carpet out around the center console though, man, if having rear heat wasn't such a nice feature I would have just ripped the damn thing out last night and tossed it.
Anyway, carpet is out, wiring goes in tonight and hopefully the carpet will be dry by the end of the weekend. Once the wiring is in place I'll move on to the doors, still having issues trying to figure out how to run speaker wire through the factory door loom. Anyone done it before on a 'Yota?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Wiring is in, Dynamat will not be required, Toyota did a good job of dampening the body. Maybe do it as an upgrade later.
The wiring & floor.

The head unit. Pioneer cd/mp3/wma with USB & Bluetooth. BT will allow me to stream audio from my phone, USB also doubles as an iPod controller (better then buying a dedicated controller since I won't use it too often) and also allows USB keys to be used for music. Great little unit from Future Shop.

It was a bitch to get the unit installed after the previous hacker had been in there. But, with $23 of hardware from OFS, and new radio brackets from Toyota, the dash is buttoned back up and all the screws in place. That should take care of more then a few rattles!