96 Tacoma SAS Build

NRTYota

Club Member
96 Tacoma SAS Build (Bare with me, this will be my first SAS Swap, Also I'll be buying the parts in parts, do to not having all the funds at the moment)

Trying to figure out what set up to run for my SAS build.
First of all the truck will be a daily driver and only running easy/medium trails. Won't be do anything to crazy. (Well not planning to right know)

The truck is currently running 31" or 33" tires depending on the season with a 5 speed tranny, 5VZ-FE motor
I'll be using '82 Pickup...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

98AT

Ih8mud, yotatech,tacoma world, pirate and expo are great sites tons of info on Tacoma Sas lifts and setups

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I ran 36's on a 86 Toy Minitruck and it was too much lift with a 5" SAS.

Looking at the trail gear SAS kits - I would get the 3" springs, and you usually get another 1" from the front hanger making it a total of 4"

junkpile

Might be easier to stick a waggy dana44 under there, it's wide enough to match your Tacoma's rear axle and has the diff on the left, unless you're swapping out your t-case too? Loads of info online about this swap, regarding ride height of coils vs. leafs, steering box mounting, oil pan clearances/interference, the down side to using mini truck axles, etc.....

ToyTaco

Best check the frame well for rust. My 96 taco 3rz 4x4 frame was swiss cheese and went back on recall.

Impact

Give Matt a call at Big Country Customs in BC... They build anything from mild to wild and really know their Toyotas! I also think they also manufacture their own SAS and are also a Trail Gear distributor.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
You can also get left hand drop axle housings for the mini-truck axle. Lots of options. :beer:

NRTYota

Club Member
I'll have to check to make sure everything fits right but I was thinking of running a passenger side transfer case.

"aweber - what was the ride height of yours, I liked the look of it before you made it a buggy"

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I'll have to check to make sure everything fits right but I was thinking of running a passenger side transfer case.

"aweber - what was the ride height of yours, I liked the look of it before you made it a buggy"

I believe it was 27" to the frame rails. I know it is lower now on 42's that it was then on 36's ;)

ToyTaco

I have an 85 xtra cab, i used rufs and chevy 63"s. i'm on 36's gutted cab no box or winch i'm at 25". tires need to be aired down too. Looks good low and wide. There will not be much up travel 3" max.