Anyone need Rivet nuts for TJ skid?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I have an order in for some Rivet nuts (aka Nutserts) for my skid plate and should be getting them in about a week. I only need about 3 (I may keep another 3 just in case) but I had to order 19.
Anyways, if anyone needs some let me know! I'll hook you up. Spread the wealth! :flipoff:

O.D.

Club Member
how would these work if you have bolts snapped off? On mine, i had to cut 4/6 of them off with a sawzall.

Now what i have are flush bolts to the frame with what looks like a raised washer against the outside underside of the frame rail. My intent was to grind these washers off and then re-drill the bolts. If i headed that way, would these then get inserted into the hole? How are they held in place? I have used something very similar on my VW when changing a skid plate (Called Riv Nuts). I had to use a special tool that gave me the ability to tighten them down so that they snugged up against the inserted area. Would these work in the same fashion?

All that to say is that i would be interested in at least 4.

Last edited:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
how would these work if you have bolts snapped off? On mine, i had to cut 4/6 of them off with a sawzall.

Now what i have are flush bolts to the frame with what looks like a raised washer against the outside underside of the frame rail. My intent was to grind these washers off and then re-drill the bolts. If i headed that way, would these then get inserted into the hole? How are they held in place? I have used something very similar on my VW when changing a skid plate (Called Riv Nuts). I had to use a special tool that gave me the ability to tighten them down so that they snugged up against the inserted area. Would these work in the same fashion?

All that to say is that i would be interested in at least 4.

Yup they are what you need. These are actually the same nutserts that are used from the factory. Here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390635

Matt
:beer::beer:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Do a search at www.McMaster.com for part number 95105A169.

They are also called Riv nuts (riv being the short of Rivet), special tool can be used or make your own with a bolt, a drilled out nut and a star washer as per this thread on Jeepforum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390635
Chances are the raised washer is the outside of the rivet nut. Once you grind it off, it should be able to whack it into the inside of the frame. Usually the reason you can't get the bolt out is due to the rivet nut spinning so there is nothing holding it in place to allow the bolt to turn. Although in your case it may be different. Either way grinding the head of the rivet nut off, you may be able to get it to work. Getting them out of the frame would be interesting.

I'll keep you in mind when I get them which brings it down to 9 left.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
So I got them. Unfortunately I guess there was some confusion as it ended up being $7 each and they only sold in units of 19. Since I needed them and to get them from Mopar it is $17 each and there was some interest here, I bought them all. Let me know if you are still interested in buying them or if you need any I am selling them at what I got them for.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I officially have 5 left (excluding the 1 for Brad and the 6 for myself). If anyone needs any let me know.

Last edited:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Hey Chris, do you still have nutserts left? If so the number is 5 then? I will take them if you do.

Dwayne

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Holy crap zombie thread!! Sorry Dwayne, Tim bought them off of me in 2009 and I think one of them is now kind of sketchy in that I can't torque it to spec. It still grabs but it will never tighten.
I heard that one of the better ones were from MacMillan carr and I think OFS can get them. However on Jeep forum, MrBlaine is looking at sourcing really good ones through Blackmagicbrakes.com. I figured you want to get together on getting some I may be willing to.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I got mine from Mcmaster-car via Brafasco / Andrew. Mcmaster-car wouldn't ship to Canada (without a business account) and they even took it one step further and cancelled my order after they realized I was shipping them to a UPS store for export.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
The ones I got were Fastenals and from what I have read and seen they aren't as good. They will work but mine got sketchy after removing my skid twice, I can't get one of them to torque to the right spec and expect I am going to have to replace it again. When we were putting them on, Andrew and I found that they started crushing at 80ftlbs but would break shortly after 100-120. I had bought 20 and ended up having 5 after I had replaced all of mine. A lot of what I am talking about is written up in this thread. MrBlaine is the guy who designed the Vanco Big Brake system and is heavily involved in Savvy's development and design of their products. He is also very blunt. I just remembered I had heard someone in another forum had actually got something shipped from McMaster-Carr to Canada within the last year and I have a hunch that they may have changed their no ship to Canada policy. On a side note, just recently MrBlaine posted that he is about to set up selling the actual OEM nutserts so you can get them through him rather than through the dealer (who sell them for like $10 each).

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
With all the fabbing Dwayne I have seen you do, moc up the nutsert holes on a template, now hole-saw each of the nutserts off the bottom of the frame, fab up a strip of metal, lay the template down and drill out the holes from the template making the holes a bit bigger than the bolts you are going to use to mount the skid back up, weld some nuts on the strip over the holes, and then weld the strips of plate to the frame, lining up the nuts to the holes on the frame and where the skid is to go. It'll never give you grief again!!!!

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Yeah I know but then if you ever go to safety the Jeep and somebody sees the frame has been cut it could be a problem. And interestingly enough I calculate how long something is going to take and installing nutserts would seem to be a much faster job and "cost" me less if I get the nutserts cheap enough. As I have a to do list the length of my garage time is worth money to me. :beer:

Cochise

The ones I got were Fastenals and from what I have read and seen they aren't as good. They will work but mine got sketchy after removing my skid twice, I can't get one of them to torque to the right spec and expect I am going to have to replace it again. When we were putting them on, Andrew and I found that they started crushing at 80ftlbs but would break shortly after 100-120. I had bought 20 and ended up having 5 after I had replaced all of mine. A lot of what I am talking about is written up in this thread.

Yes, I hate nutserts. They suck, and should be only used as a field patch. They aren't the right thing to use, IMHO.

MrBlaine is the guy who designed the Vanco Big Brake system and is heavily involved in Savvy's development and design of their products. He is also very blunt. I just remembered I had heard someone in another forum had actually got something shipped from McMaster-Carr to Canada within the last year and I have a hunch that they may have changed their no ship to Canada policy. On a side note, just recently MrBlaine posted that he is about to set up selling the actual OEM nutserts so you can get them through him rather than through the dealer (who sell them for like $10 each).

Me and MrBlaine have had a few messages back and forth, in the past. He has solid experience, but what he advises comes with caveats. He's no dummy, and neither should you be to understand those caveats.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I found this part number 95105A170 searching google on an archived Pirate thread which I plugged into McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3295/=ii2dkx which is a package of 10 for $12.71. Valley Sales is one of my customers and I can order through them so I think I will order some in. There will be shipping on top of that. Note that they are standard and not metric but if you are changing them all who cares. My problem is Connie's Jeep only has one bolt holding on one side after running Cloyne and she wanted to take the Jeep somewhere today, oh well might start drilling one of the broken one out and tap it for now. What is interesting is that none of mine are spinning which I think is usually the problem but instead all the threads are just worn out. This frame is in really good shape for a YJ.
Shipping is going to probably cost almost the same whether 1 pack or 5 if I get them at that price who else wants them?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Order me some too and I will split shipping (reimburse you at the next meeting?) The Metric are for 2000(3?) and up anyways. Those are supposed to be as close to the OEM ones as you can get.