Anyone need Rivet nuts for TJ skid?

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well her transfer case was hanging by 1 bolt so I figured that I would just drill out the 1 broken bolt and tap it to hold it temporarily (as she wanted to take her jeep to a girls night out} until I got these in. After dulling 3 bits and breaking a step drill :banghead: I looked at them all closely and realized why they weren't stripping out of the frame was because the previous owner had welded them. Well even though I have a nice pit to do crap jobs like this I had started it on the floor and my truck was in the middle of having heims replaced so I didn't have time to finish it and bolt the skid back up so I persevered on the floor, good times :flipoff:

Anyway I then said enough of this crap and used the plasma to remove the offending material and welded 1/2" nuts into the frame.

But at that price I can see a use for them in the future so if nobody is in a rush then let's get a few people in on this and I will order them anyway.

And yes OD I know I said I didn't want to start welding the frame but the "damage" was already done :beer:

Hmmm just saw this, don't ask me why I was wandering around the net it is what I do just because "I wonder" :flipoff:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/mcmaster-carr-finally-lost-232568/

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
*lol*

Put me down for a bag as well.... I am still unsure of what direction i am going to go with the skid on the TJ so i might as well get in on this rather than wait till the last minute later on!!!

Impact

Bumping up an old thread...

So on an unrelated topic... What kind of thread is inside these nuts? I need to chase all the thread in my skid plate nuts but not sure as to what tap to use... M14? 1.75... 1.50... ?

Hopefully someone can send me in the right direction.