Body Swap or SAS?

Minion

Ok, here's the story. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger. It's 4x4 with posi rear end, 3.73 gears, 4.0L auto, and has suicide doors. I also just picked up a 1993 Ford Ranger for $400. It's a 3.0L, manual trans, manual locking hubs, and also 4x4. I bought it because it's a solid front axle and it has a decent fleetside bed and I would dearly love to get rid of my step side bed.

Since this truck is never going to be my primary daily driver, and will probably only ever really be driven to and from...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Mlorint

the vin is from the body not the frame. 1988 and up get etested.
I think it would be easier to swap in a different axle into the 02 rather than using the 93 axle. not impossible but way more work than using a jeep front axle.
I would put a set of lockers in and decent tires in the 93 and call it good.

Minion

The 02 is IFS, so SASing with a different axle is definitely possible. My statement about etest was because anything older than 99 can be tested as a hot rod and go for lower standards. The real reason I don't want to just use the 1993 is the smaller engine and it doesn't have any rear doors, and I know from experience that it's just a pain to live with. Might not be a bad option but not my first preference.

junkpile

I agree with Mike, the twin traction beam on the front of the 93 isn't an ideal swap to the 02.
The 02 is the easier etest in my opinion, no sniffer.
I say run the 93 while you do a proper sas on the 02 (;

Mlorint

It can be a hot rod if the motor was not available IE chevy in a ford. A 4.0 was available.
I wouldn't worry too much about engine size or hp, I had a samurai with a 1.6L and 36's with the right gearing and daily drove it for a few years with no problem.
What size of tire are you looking to run?

Last edited:

Minion

Max 35. More likely 33s. I don't have the time, skills, space or tools to get into a hardcore capable rig right now, and would really rather build a capable expedition style truck.

I can definitely see the wisdom in the advice to lock and wheel this one while I SAS the 02, definitely going to give this some thought.

R

ROUGHcrawl

How sure are you that the 93 is solid axle? They came with twin traction beam (which can look similar to solid axle). If it is twin traction beam you'd be better off wheeling the 02. But as for SAS I've done a few and even on a Ranger and it's less work then body swapping.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk