Broken crank shaft

Conestoga

Was driving my old 4wd van home from work one day and it just died on me. Figured it was something electrical at first as there were no abnormal noises or signs of something wrong prior to it shutting off. Also I'm pretty easy on the old girl and this happened under normal driving conditions. Anyways I coasted off to the shoulder of the road and tried boosting it, but it wouldn't even try to turn over.

Towed it home and tried to start it again and it made a wicked noise; figured the timing...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
It's a 302 - they are cheap and plentiful. Just get a JY engine (or pick up any donor car/truck), check the compression, and call it good. Note: not a Ford guy, so I know nothing about differences in 302's, but I imagine they are all pretty much the same.

junkpile

Damn! I think you might be right. That chunk off the harmonic looks like it's been broken a while, gauging by the rusted edges.
I'm a cheap bastard, and if there's no visible damage to the block, I'd rebuild it. Send it out for peace of mind of course.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I'd look into option 3, and cost a rebuild - whatever ends up being cheaper go with that - those engines shouldn't be too hard to find.

Conestoga

From the research I've done it looks like the Ford Windsor 302 was more less the same from 1969-84, then from 1985-96 they went to fuel injection. I believe the head, cam, and balancer are different depending on what the motor was installed in. This is what I've gathered from google and a few ford forums, but if there are any Ford guys out there feel free to chime in.

I'm interested in maybe swapping in the drive train from a 5.0HO mustang with fuel injection. Manual trans would be fun, and I believe fuel injection alone increased the HP considerably. Will take some fab work to go from auto to manual, but I think it'd be an interesting swap to do

Anyways thanks for the input so far, going to continue with my pricing/research

Jimbog

Club Member
Let me see what I got, should have a 302 carbureted. I have one in my sons 74 Comet, but it is his daily driver. He might get mad if it goes missing!

Conestoga

That would be a very cool project. I assume you're currently running a divorced t-case?

The vans got a dana 20 tcase, which is married. However I thought I seen an adapter at one time to make it divorced? May need to investigate this route depending on transmission setup

Let me see what I got, should have a 302 carbureted. I have one in my sons 74 Comet, but it is his daily driver. He might get mad if it goes missing!

I'm leaning more towards fuel injected, but definitely not ruling out any options yet. Thanks and let me know if you come up with anything