Bubba Rope, Kinetic recovery rope, my impressions.

L

Louis

Hi Guys, I just received a bunch of Bubba Rope products, made a video of the stuff out of the box - pretty impressive quality. Check out the video if you like, will be trail testing it soon - anyone wanna get stuck? Anyone wanna extract a stuck cruiser???

http://youtu.be/5tukrzW1IXo

Cheers.

Louis

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
I'll take a winch over a strap or kinetic rope any day. Too many things can go wrong with a system like this. Just my .02

Good luck!
X2. From the safety side of view - totaly right. Maybe more impresive for the spectactors... but as he said - too many things can go wrong.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
X2. From the safety side of view - totaly right. Maybe more impresive for the spectactors... but as he said - too many things can go wrong.

Yet a tug strap (not a tow strap) is usually the first thing we recommend new wheelers buy :rolleyes: Plus not everyone can afford a winch (or two so you can winch from the back).

The products do look quite good in terms of design and quality, way better than the PA straps some of us have. My only concern would be to damage the rope; even with the sleeve it can happen and you end up throwing out a more expensive product, or worse deciding to keep using it because you paid so much for it!

And even if you don't want the ropes at least we got to see their other products like the tree saver which again seems superior to others.

Thanks for making and posting the video.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Alright, this might get into a big discussion. I'll start with my own definitions, and do speak up if you disagree on these:
Tow strap: doesn't stretch, much like a chain, made to tow a vehicle on roads
Tug strap: does stretch a small amount, also called a recovery strap

John,

I agree tug straps, like any recovery equipment, must be used for what they were designed for. Taking a big run to pull someone out is always asking for trouble whatever the attachment material. But I don't see how these kinetic ropes are any different than tug straps which we've been using and recommending for years. Although they might stretch different amounts I don't see this mentioned anywhere. If you saw different information please share.

As for the winch, they usually come with steel wire which again if used improperly are just as dangerous as any strap, rope, or chain.

Mitko,

If you are recommending non stretching tow straps I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I, and I believe most club members past and present, have recommended tug straps because they stretch. For one, it will soften the impact on the tow points and the strap itself as the vehicles go over the big bumps during extraction. When a gentle tug doesn't work we back up a few feet and take a short run to gain momentum which will transfer into the strap (this is the kinetic part) and provide a stronger initial pull, and again the stretch makes this transfer of force gentler on the tow points.

Your turn :beer:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
All the recovery "straps" i've come across in the military are kinetic types (i remember they started switching to them 4 or 5 years ago where i work) - to me it just makes sense. To pull with a non-stretching strap is just asking for trouble - as in broken straps and possibly injured bystanders.

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Don't get me wrong, there is no "launching" at full speed when recovering a 10 or 20 ton vehicle - slow and steady is the method used and this is the method i would use on a 4700lbs rig too.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
No I did not go beyond Louis' video as I didn't have any reason to. And since I can't comment on information not posted on this thread then I won't talk about the Bubba Ropes anymore and will instead focus on the hijack subject of tow vs. tug straps (sorry Louis!).

DannyL

I've sold hundreds of Bubba's and all I get is great feedback. If you're wheeling with a bunch of braindead people that haven't a clue how to use equipment the way it was supposed to, change the people not the tools....

L

Louis

Hey fellas, interesting feedback, and many good points, one being that a tug strap is very similar to the kinetic rope, winch cables (steel) are probably more prone to physical damage in my opinion yet many still use them today - and of course the braindead comment is true as well.

Using common sense with solid recovery points and as little hardware as possible is the best medicine when using these things, using the correct rope for the job is as well. Bubba Rope is pretty straight forward about the product, if there is any rope damage or a know is made then the rope goes in the garbage - and never drag it across the rocks or sharp edges like a bumper - pretty much the same as a synthetic winch line.

If anyone is up for it I'd like to try the ropes tomorrow - anyone in? I could go to upper dwyer hill or by renfrew, I need video footage of it in action, even perhaps some jeeps pulling jeeps or lighter vehicles would be great. I'd let a jeep pull my cruiser - it'd make for good video:)

Lemme know! Lshobie@yahoo.com is the best address as this forum doesnt send me notifications for some reason.

Thanks!

Edit, and I should mention that most recovery straps are only rated to about 24,000 pounds, if that is chinese pounds then you do the math, you can find stronger but to get the equivalent of a 53000lb rope you'd be looking at about a 4.5 inch strap and it still doesn't have as much energy as a rope. Also from speaking with Bubba rope they pointed out a few things, when a rope breaks they generally follow the same path, when a strap breaks it generally goes up. A damper can and is recommended to be used, everyone should stand at a minimum of the length of the rope away - but much further if possible. And you want to use a rope about 3 times the weight of the vehicle, but that's not a given as conditions vary - ie tire size, type of mud/clay, size of truck pulling etc. They recommended the 28K lb rope for jeep size stuck and a the 53K rope for heavy cruisers and suburban types - but keeping in mind that the rope has to stretch in order to work. It'll be interesting to try it out.

Last edited:
V

valley dad

I would love to help out with the pulling , only I heard a cruiser was best left "un"pulled , because it only ends up stuck again .:lmao:

L

Louis

LOL, ya well that's the idea of this drill so have all the fun you want:) we'll be going out on sunday now, need to find the nastiest stuff I can in the upper dywer hill area. Just firming up the times now - anyone know of a good mudhole - or several?

Thanks guys

L

Louis

Here's a vid of the day with some info explained. I'm going to order a custom 100 foot rope from them as the 30 footer is too short for our environment. Also, we were talking at our club meeting (land cruiser club) and thought it might be a good idea to have a joint clean up of the upper dwyer hill road area - there is junk every where now.

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oin_iHzPgA

Louis

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Im in for the clean up. Ive taken my trailer down there a few times for scrap metal. That place is getting worse and worse.

L

Louis

I'd be in for some clean up before the year end even - I'll talk to out club. I can stack a lot on the back of my cruiser and trailer.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Sweet vid. I like the product. Keep us posted ok the clean up. We can make it a joint effort.

Matt

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
I emailed the city about getting a dump pass for dwyer hill before. They told me to call 311 and report the garbage. Did you want me to Talk to them again and try get a dump pass for when we clean the trail?