Can anyone help me...

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
... to get some accurate corner weights.

I'm thinking the best way is to beg/borrow/steal a portable scale (or pair).

Anyone have any leads? Any race-car chassis set-up places around?

Willing to pay.

Thanks

R

Root Moose

Let me see if anyone at MCO has a hook up.

Any ball park idea of how heavy your machine is? ~4500 lbs?

K

kbrousseau

Kenyon's in Kemptville maybe? They build stock cars there so they might.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Let me see if anyone at MCO has a hook up.

Any ball park idea of how heavy your machine is? ~4500 lbs?

Last time I weighed it was a few years (and mods!) ago, but with spare parts, tools, 1/2 gas, a spare tire (which I no longer carry) and me on board it was 4762 lbs.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was tipping 5k now.

Thanks

Mini-T

Sasquatch
At work we had a guy from Avery Weigh-tronix come and weigh one of our cameras (1200 lbs.). He said we were on the low end of what he can weigh. I'm sure they have something that would do what you need. No idea what the cost would be.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Not a bad idea for a SWAG at total weight John, but I need quite bit more accurate than that (sprung and unsprung) for suspension tuning.

I already have corner sprung weights by multiplying spring deflection by spring rate at each corner (although they vary a little depending if I measure/multiply main rate, tender rate, or combined rate - which is a little odd becase in theory all springs in series resist the same force and coils don't have any friction between coils - but might just be tape-measure accuracy limitation?)

And I can take a pretty accurate SWAG at sprung weight because I know the weight of the brakes, wheels, tires, and can calc 1/2 the shock,axle, and link weight pretty easily.

I would just like to do some actual/accurate weighing for comparison - as results are a little less than expected.

(CSW = corner sprung weight)

Front Rear

CSW by primary 586.25 472.5

CSW by secondary 625.625 455

CSW by combined 608.3 462

CSW average 606.725 463.1666667

kids & gear (per corner) 100
us & gear (per corner) 200

Loaded CSW 806.725 563.1666667

End SW 1613.45 1126.333333

Axle 500 450
Suspension 50 70
Wheels 110 110
Tires 210 210
Brakes 60 60

End USW 930 900

End weight 2543.45 2026.333333

Weight 4569.783333

J

Jason

I was looking for scales awhile ago so when time came to tune in my spring rates I would get better results then just winging it.

I was able to find a shipping scale capable of holding 400lbs @ ~$160$ compared to the thousands of dollars needed for proper chassis scales.

http://www.pelouze.com/ship_elec_details.asp?prod=4010

No where near enough for your car though.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
I have an idea that I'm going to try out this weekend. Could be brilliant in its simplicity...could be stupid and not work. I'll keep you posted.