Damn Jeep and their stupid sound deadening material...

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
If you have never looked at the floor of a JK, you wouldn't know that the infinitely stupid people at Jeep/Chrysler decided to spray some type of epoxy resin on the floor as a sound deadener, or for some other reason. I removed the carpet from my Jeep at 6 months old so it didn't trap moisture, I did mean to remove the epoxy material, but never got around to it. This is what I get for being lazy:

IMG_20210609_203223.jpg

Did I mention this is a...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I decided to bite the bullet, and get the floor repaired. The wizard at Lallier Honda in Gatineau did amazing work. They also did a front to back Scorpion lining at the same time. The results turned out great. You can only buy a whole floor for a JK, not just a floor pan, so the wizard bent his own, can you even tell?

IMG_20211008_100742.jpg
IMG_20211008_100803.jpg

Then front to back....
IMG_20211008_100925.jpg
IMG_20211008_100952.jpg
IMG_20211008_101053.jpg

All the way out back, right down to where the jack is stored. Hopefully this takes care of any further floor issues.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Looks good! They went from making bad frames to making sure floors rot out...Wonder what the downfall of the JL's will be.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Getting that hole sucks, but it did get you to put on that liner which looks awesome!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
You can see in the front passenger floor, pooled water, nope, Jeep is perfectly water tight. LoL Anyone with one knows they are not water tight. HEHEHE And this was the reason for the carpet removal back in 2014.
Also in the rear seat you can see they didn't remove the epoxy and just sprayed over it, wasn't thrilled when I saw that, but fingers crossed!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Looks good! They went from making bad frames to making sure floors rot out...Wonder what the downfall of the JL's will be.
I'm the only one I know that's had an issue. Well, there was @Al! but he never had doors on and left it outside all season. LoL You just don't see rusty one's running around yet.

Getting that hole sucks, but it did get you to put on that liner which looks awesome!
Yeah, it did give me the push I needed. Would have been quite a bit cheaper to remove the epoxy though. LoL Although, when I researched it, it is a pain in the butt to remove. People have tried everything, including dry ice to freeze it. My synopsis was it was just going to take elbow grease, a lot of it.

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
It is looking good now, no vehicle should rust that much that soon in this day and age.. but how else do they get us to buy new ones :)

I probably would have done the same, removing that stuff sucks, you commit to the elbow grease, get half (or really 20%) way through then regret starting lol

At least all your seat bolts and so on are in good order!

toytech

Club Member
The floor pan he bent himself looks better than the factory stuff! Looks good now and should last a long time.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
You just don't see rusty one's running around yet.
Yup, well, saw my first crusty one. Helped an OJC member with a flat tire Wednesday, his JK has been well "loved", and it's rusting away, even some of the plastic pieces! LoL Yes, I realize it's the metal attached to said pieces, but wow. On white no less, so all the rust staining makes it look even worse.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I feel your pain although that is my TJ I had to do the driver side floor...again. It's a patchwork of previous spots. The problem spots are usually over the torqueboxes.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I feel your pain although that is my TJ I had to do the driver side floor...again. It's a patchwork of previous spots. The problem spots are usually over the torqueboxes.
Mine was right above the CAT, and right below my right heel. I suspect the intense heat of the CAT with inadequate protection baked the floor away to nothing, especially with that compound they lay down trapping water.