First Jeep- Looking for help

D

dannyboy

Hey guys,

So i just bought a 2005 jeep tj sahara. The jeep is pretty stock and i am looking to do a couple things to it to get it ready for the trails. I am very new with jeeps and am really looking for some knowledge.

If anyone would be able to give me some tips and pointers on where to get a lift kit and how much i should lift it. Is there a difference in lift kits and do you have to buy new springs? Where and which mud terrain tires i should be looking to get and will they fit on the...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
If your Jeep is in full working order then it's ready for some trails. First you should come out on some trail runs, this is the best way to learn to drive, you can then take your time to figure out what you want to do with it.

Keep an eye on the calender or the Events/Trail Runs forum for some stock friendly runs like this one coming up:
http://ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2878

You will need tow hooks front and back, but if you don't have any we'll give you a free pass on the first run so you can see what you should get.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
If anyone would be able to give me some tips and pointers on where to get a lift kit and how much i should lift it. Is there a difference in lift kits and do you have to buy new springs? Where and which mud terrain tires i should be looking to get and will they fit on the stock rims? Should i be putting on front and rear bumpers. And do i need to do anything to the axles or anything else?

Any help is greatly appreciated
First, congratulations - you did first move in wrong directin, buying a ****. From now on everything will be easier, but more painfull and expencive. Some ppl. call it fun.
Anyway, there are tons of resources about the J*** in the web, so spend some time reading abut. Many, even too many lift kit manifacturers, with diferent quality, price and end satisfaction. Many differenn tires too.

What you need is to decide what you gonna do and how far you wanna go. Then lift ,build, cut, weld, broke and over again. Until you are happy.

Oh, welcome in the cub :D

D

DoctorPhate

PM me, I'm going out on the 12th or 13th for an afternoon run. Your welcome to come with.

J

JeepJen

Ignore his hatred of Jeeps...

Definatly come on a run or two, come to a few meetings to see others trucks. You will be better able to then judge what you want to do (ie. how high, tire size)
Once you figure out these things you can start the shopping process.
Things you need to figure out is will this be a trail rig only, or double as a daily driver. If it's your daily driver you need to look into what height is still safe for daily use etc.
Once you know how high you want to go then you can figure out the tire size.
As far as which tires, well it depends on how much street driving you plan on doing. You can go with a true off road tire but if you drive the streets daily they will wear faster (like a winter tire wares if used in the summer) or you can go with a decent A/T like the BFGs or the General Grabbers.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Ignore his hatred of Jeeps...

Definatly come on a run or two, come to a few meetings to see others trucks. You will be better able to then judge what you want to do (ie. how high, tire size)
Once you figure out these things you can start the shopping process.
Things you need to figure out is will this be a trail rig only, or double as a daily driver. If it's your daily driver you need to look into what height is still safe for daily use etc.
Once you know how high you want to go then you can figure out the tire size.
As far as which tires, well it depends on how much street driving you plan on doing. You can go with a true off road tire but if you drive the streets daily they will wear faster (like a winter tire wares if used in the summer) or you can go with a decent A/T like the BFGs or the General Grabbers.
Hating or not, but am I wrong? And if I am, than where? And you are basicly sayng the same as me, just more politely :).

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I second YJ Driver's opinions.

You are better to come out for a few runs (or few years even) stock to judge for yourself as to what you want to do with it.
Hard to decide when you've never wheeled before, everyone likes something different

Some like to order one of every bolt on gismo available for Jeeps.
Some (YJ Driver for example) have "sleeperish" Jeeps with alot of custom stuff if you know what to look for.
Mitko likes to be different and has a G-Wagon
ChunkyTrunks wheels a mostly stock TJ
I'm building a V8 powered Buggy on 42s

Everyone likes something different but you got to get a baseline to start from.
Lots of folks here to help you thru the learning process

Welcome :beer:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Like previously said. Come out for at least a couple runs. You will be very amazing how well a stock TJ works on the trail. You don't have to spend allot of money, just spend it in the right places to do what you want it to.

:beer:

D

DoctorPhate

Pmed you back. Let me know if your coming on the 12/13th.

D

dannyboy

thanks everyone for the help. So i guess i need to get out on the trails... how late do you guys keep going out. and how do i get involved in this?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Unfortunately you are starting at the late part of the season. Pretty much when hunting season starts we stop. Try to get in as much as you can right now. This gives you the winter to save up and/or build up.
Also you need to decide if you are going to use it as a daily driver or is it going to become a trail queen? That has a large impact on what you can (should) do to it.

P.S welcome to the forum

D

dannyboy

i know i am still going to need to do some street driving with the vehicle but i do not put alot of km's on the vehicle. What do you think my limits are for this situation?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Define some.
The magic number is 33" for tires after that it gets a lot more expensive. Stronger axles, higher lifts, SYE, etc, etc.

i know i am still going to need to do some street driving with the vehicle but i do not put alot of km's on the vehicle. What do you think my limits are for this situation?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yes but the difference in a lift for 33s is a couple hundred and 35s is a couple thousand. Bigger difference there than 31s and 33s. And even doing 31s on stock is pushing it; better not disconnect.

Plus I was pointing out daily driving 33s is more reasonable than 35s. It can be done with 35s but better have a deep pocket book if you do any serious mileage.

The magic number for stock **** is 31.
To fit 33s he needs a lift.

louie

congrats on the new toy. I have a tj and love it, but it is a disease... if you are going to really get into off roading and moding it save the time and money sell it and get a rubie now!!! my 2 cents ...

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
save the time and money sell it and get a rubie now!!! my 2 cents ...
X2 brother....
just dont do the mistake again to purchasse a chrysler product. Sell it and buy yourself something genuine.

R

Root Moose

Don't mind Mitko. He was bitten by a rabid Jeep when he was younger.

:D

D

Dannyboy33

Congrats on the Jeep, I have had my YJ for over 6 years now and still love it though not much of it is still jeep except the body.