Fishing spots around North Frontenac crown land (Ompah/Plevna off the 509)

Function > Form

Club Member
Hey all, maybe this isn't the right place for it, but wanted to ask your advice.

Going on a fishing trip in a couple weeks and we are camping around the North Frontenac crown land. Buddy has a nice 18 (?) ft outboard deep V with a bimini that we are taking out. I'm checking with the county on whether it's ok to use it on certain lakes.

Where would you recommend for fishing spots? We were thinking of Black Donald Lk as it's pretty big (or Norcan), but it is a bit far from where we...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

R

ROUGHcrawl

I camped on Govan last August, we forgot or fishing spot at home as we were packing in a hung over hurry. Did end up killing a rainy day making sapling hooks and using bacon as bait we caught some Bass from the water's edge. But there were many other anglers out on the open water who seemed to be having luck. Only issue is you might need a road pass which the park fellas are happy to sell you if you cross paths.

98AT

That boat at 18ft is definatly overkill for most lakes up that way. What lake/site are you camping at? If you had planned to get to norcan by the trails up that way it's going to be a tough go pulling an 18ft boat behind you that's for sure.

Redhorse lake, Canonto lake both hold pickerel, govan does have pickerel in it but its mostly a fish at dusk type lake for the pickerel, lots of bass/pike daytime though.

Like roughcrawl mentioned make sure to have your trail pass from the township along with camping permit, you need both to camp/drive on any crown land in north frontenac.

Cheers

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks boys.

Haha saplings and bacon???! Good on you. Oh right, that was for your honeymoon wasn't it? hope it was awesome.

Thanks for mentioning it, but I am aware of the need for a road/camping pass - been up there many times, just haven't fished there.

Yeah I think it's around 18 ft maybe less, nothing fancy, couple seats, console, floor and a live well. I've only seen a pic. We aren't sure what lake yet - even considering going to Big Gull or Crotch lk as they are biggish and we could go further with the boat (usually my fiancee and I are canoers).

For Norcan, no my buddy and I are not planning on going via trail. We would access from the dam side. I'm still on mini-tires and he is in an massive older lifted cummins. The boat trailer is not lifted anyhow.

Last time I was at Govan, there were two minivans and a friggin Chrysler concord!! lol OK so if Govan is a fish at dusk lake, I assume it's fairly shallow. Bass and pike are certainly way more fun sport-wise, just not as tasty to me.

Function > Form

Club Member
OK so update: we went to Crotch Lake and had not much luck. Found out afterwards that that is the usual experience on that lake. Nice place to boat and camp though. Every site we passed had a great set up and great view.

We fished all times of day, all types of casting lures, hook and bait also... caught a couple pike and a largemouth only. Water temp was pretty warm, read about 73-75 at the surface depending where we were/time of day. We tried near the reeds, deep water, ridges, trenches, etc etc....nice weekend to be out though!

Incidentally, the boat is a 16 ft with a 9.9 - not too big for that particular lake by any means.

Thanks for the input guys - next time we will try one of the lakes you suggested.