Fixing tweaked axel

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Looking to get an axle re tubed. Or maybe straighten if it can be any recommendations

Hey - Can you post up some more specifics? Type/Brand of axle? Where it is bent, etc?

:beer:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Front or rear? What axle? Depending on what it is, it may not be worth it. I'd throw some chains on each end and a bottle jack in the middle, get it close and call it a day if it's a weekend driver. DD, I'd just replace.

I do know that Rockspyder can re-tube an axle from my research when I was looking at a custom narrowed rear D60.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
If it's the same guy that posted the same Q on the OJC FB page then its a D44 JKU axle.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Ouch - new enough to be a pain to find. Rockspyder quoted me around $500 for a re-tube I think, but that was a few years back. Since it's a front, how close does it really need to be? I was under the impression that the outer u-joints would take up some of the smiley face bend.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Those axles are notoriously weak, but because of the thin tubing i vote for the chain and jack method to try to get it straight. Then i would look at one of the many kits out there on the market to strengthen it, cheaper than retubing it i would think.

just_in

It's out 1-2 ,degree on the passenger side. It's a jk d44 front. I'm thinking chain jack and then trussing it, maybe sleeve it with press in sleeves

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
definitely truss or sleeve it, just a couple degrees then it shouldn't be too bad to straighten it out.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
truss and press in sleeve - it will help additionally to straighten the tube. How was the 1-2 degrees determined?
Owner probably doesnt want this:

DSC00675.jpg