Interest in Lavant (cleanup) run on Sunday?

Cochise

Thanks for clearing the trails guys. And Dan, great idea carving OVO on the log, it'll let other's know we're out there to tear everything up.

I expected this kind of backlash, Richard.

An unmaintained road, use at own risk, one which multiple clubs use (not only full size 4x4, but four wheelers too), and many (if associated with clubs with good use guidelines) are responsible wheelers.

The trees that were cleared were down and dead. If not us, someone else would have cleared them. We cleared them, and documented it, and anybody who wants to see how it was done can look at the pics or go up there, and see for themselves that we did a good job at clearing it with minimal damage to the rest of the environment there.

It was a very carefully considered clearing. Minimal impact.

The way it should be done, and why I thought it worthy of "signing" it.

Post-edit: Not only that, but we brought garbage bags, and trixter filled up two bags. And none of that was ours. I was the only smoker out that day, and even the butts stayed in my truck. That garbage up there was left by someone else, and it's good to let the world know that OVO was up there and cleaned it up.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I completely agree with Dan, the logs were a potential hazard for anyone and we had the tools required to deal with them accordingly. The trees were down already and completely blocking the trail. It is quite evident it was Mother Nature that had brought them down as the rootballs had been torn up not cut down. We were able to get them out of the way safely and diligently. If we hadn't then we should have considered Lavant closed for a good while. With the 4 of us it was a task and a half and I doubt others would have been so motivated to take care of it.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Dammit, I miss one little word and I'm the one getting the backlash! I meant to say that we're NOT out there to tear everything up (previous post updated), and I'm glad you put OVO on the trunk. Sorry for the typo :eek:

berger

Dammit, I miss one little word and I'm the one getting the backlash! I meant to say that we're NOT out there to tear everything up (previous post updated), and I'm glad you put OVO on the trunk. Sorry for the typo :eek:

Good thing....Cochise is an ANIMAL with the Poulan saw:)!

V

valley dad

I second that Berger as long as you buy all the members a beer at the next meeting

V

valley dad

glad to see able bodied members helping out when possible.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
It was quite daunting and the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

rf2

Here are some highlights from the run - my pictures are mostly of the Pinzgauer because it is cool.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yep the picture I have been waiting for is exactly what I thought it looked like. Sweet!! Now that is desktop Worthy!!

rf2

In the full sized picture, I see a nervous laugh on your face - something like "this is cool!....I hope he doesn't roll it..."

Yep the picture I have been waiting for is exactly what I thought it looked like. Sweet!! Now that is desktop Worthy!!

berger

Great pics Rob!

You know, when I look at it now, I cannot see why I had such a hard time with it! :banghead: :D

Cochise

Lulz. Glad to hear it Richard.

You had me worried there for a while.

I'll let my post stand as is: it imparts OVO's values of responsible recreational use. Something that can't be written or read enough.

:beer:

Cochise

Great pics Rob!

You know, when I look at it now, I cannot see why I had such a hard time with it! :banghead: :D

Don't be too hard on yourself. Every passenger I've ever had, requested to get out before I tried something. :p

You're finding the limits of the Pinz, and yours also. We've all been there. The next time it'll be easier, and you'll wonder why you worried at all the first time.

Cochise

View attachment 1303
PERSPECTIVE!!!!

Oh yeah, it was DRY that day. Almost nothing left. Maybe a foot of water. Solid base.

I was almost tempted to try the mud hole, but it was on the way back and we were wiped from the clearing work, and I didn't want to hold us up with the inevitable winching work that's par for that hole.

Here's another perspective:

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_2970.JPG

Last edited:

Cochise

looking good cochise...

Not sure you got my meaning (my fault for not explaining it), I was just showing the difference in Lavant between the top picture (last weekend) and a picture from 4 years ago (there are other pictures, but I wanted to contrast with the same rig for perspective). That spot is usually pretty wet, and it wasn't this time.

In the first pic, if you look at the right side, that's the same spot as the second picture (except I'm going the other way).

Dry as a bone out there.