Jeep CJ

J

Joust

whats an old CJ worth?
Mechanically sound (GM 4cyl) but body rough.
what things should I look for when checking it out?

R

Root Moose

whats an old CJ worth?
Mechanically sound (GM 4cyl) but body rough.
what things should I look for when checking it out?

What year? Which model? Not that model really matters - just curious.

J

Jason

Check your frame, body will either be very good or very bad, if it looks good and a magnet sticks to it then thats awesome, if it doesnt then prepare for lots and lots of body work.

Take a hammer of any sort and pound on the frame, if the hammer goes through then walk away, most frame jobs need the body off to do a decent job and if your body is rough you might as well look for a newer tub off a YJ or aftermarket steel.

If the motor runs and doesnt sound like a bag of hammers, and you can row it through all the gears, call it good.

Thats a major stuff, your temp and gas guage will probably not work, your wiper linkage will also probably be pretty sloppy too.

J

Joust

My local mechanic offered it to me. When he says its mechanically sound, I trust him. He has been very good to me over the last 10 years or so. never cost me more than 300 for anything. Minor things are free. but thats another story.

Is it hard to take off the tub? I just got a small Mig. I could cut my teeth on some body stuff. My Son loves M*A*S*H. He is 10...go figure. anyway, I thought it might be a great father son project. They used to use some newer CJs on the show.

J

Jason

The body bolts will either break or come out flawlessly, there are 8 bolts to take out with captured nuts inside the body.

If your just starting out with a welder I would be getting the shielding gas kit for it so its easier on your sanity. gas kit is ~100$, gas bottle is ~150-200$ depending on your hook ups. ~30$ for solid wire and do not forget a good respirator if your working in a garage.