Let's talk trailers....

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
I've been finally given the green light from my financial advisor (aka the missus :stir: ) to get a trailer for the rig. I've decided I'm gonna go new and I only wanna do this once.

So, I want to take advantage of others' mistakes :flipoff: - so post up what features you have / wish you had / thought you needed but really don't / etc.

The rig that'll be going on this is what's left of a Jeep that is 88.5 wide with ~115" WB. I haven't weighed it yet, but it should be in the vicinity of...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Here's some info on mine.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PJTtrailer/

I LOVE it.

Only thing's I'd do differently:

- get radial tires if possible (making sure that are ST-rated (trailer) - they run much cooler
- get AT LEAST 1 spare - 2 would be better
- move the lisc. plate up before I ripped it off
- fab some fender protectors / drive over bars, coz my rig is wide.

I love the fold-up ramps and the bulldog-connector

Definitely get brakes on both axles.

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
Bill, do you have any pics of the Wolf on your trailer? I'm just curious as to how much room you have on that 83" deck. Offhand, what weight is your rig at these days?

I've done a bit of searching about the Bulldog couplers - do you have any closeup pics and likes / dislikes about it? Depending on the site, there were as many people saying to use them as there were saying to just use a normal 2 5/16" coupler due to coupling / uncoupling problems with the coupler.....

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
In these pics, wheelbase is prob. about 105", weight about 4700lbs

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
You want the coles notes version or the long winded one? :flipoff:

-Definately brakes on both axles, you wouldn't drive your truck with only one end braking.
-Check where the wires run thru the frame, some places use gromets, some don't
-Full wood deck rather than steel or open center, much more useful for other things if need be.
-Most trailers in this category are 7000lbs with the trailer weighing 1800-2000 of that. If you can find a good deal on a 10,000 I'd get that but usually a big price jump. Basically all of us run with our trailers at or close to max capacity.
- 83" is the widest you will find between the fenders, many only 80"
- Custom work WILL be required to get your rig on without distroying the fenders. I'd suggest building a set of removable "ramps" that match the fender so you can drive up & over
- Deck-over design will allow up to 102" in width but raises COG significantly.
- Make sure the tires AND rims are for trailers, if they are not, they'll take a beating.
- Trailer wiring is always a PITA, make sure it's well protected.
- Lights should be sealed units or LED, the ones with replaceable bulbs are POS.
- Front rail is mandatory to keep your rig from rolling off the front as you try to tie it down. :banghead:
- Check the location of the jack, my tailgate hit mine when I tried to lower it, had to move the jack.
- Fold up ramps (like Bill's) are more convenient than removable but are usually more noisy and drag alot of air. They also prevent puting anything longer than the deck (parts Suburban?) on without jerry-rigging it.
- with removable rams, you also have the option of loading/unloading without the ramps if terrain permits.
- make sure you are happy with the tie down locations, that they will work without rubbing/binding the straps or chains
- if you use straps to tie down, get axle straps also.
- I'm using chains 'cause all the equipment hauler use them
- You'll have to do some sort of custom work to have full support of the tires on a 83" deck.
- keep the deck height as low as possible but high enough not to drag.
- I don't like the beavertails but they make loading/unloading without ramps easier.
- side stake pockets and rub rails give alot of tiedown options for other items.

If you can, I'd find someone to custom build one for you:
Deck between to keem the COG low but infront and back of the trailer tires make it full width to the outside of the trailer tires. You'd have 80" or 83" between the fenders (still require drive over ramps) and 102" for the rest of the deck.

Did I miss anything?

:beer:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I also like the second one due to the heavier axles.
I'd also take either the 18' straight deck with 5' foldup ramps or the 16'straight + 2' beavertail with 3.5' foldup ramps

Why 20' or 22'?

Unless you are planning on having room for a ATV also, I wouldn't go any longer than 18'. That extra couple of feet can be a huge pita at times (parking, turning radius, camp areas etc) and personally I don't see the use for it if you only plan on hauling your rig. My 120" WB fits just fine on my 16'.

Last edited:

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
Well, it looks like PJ out in Manitoba has two 9990lb Buggy Haulers coming into stock ~25 Jul. $4400 for a 20'. Only problem is it is in MB. Waiting to hear back on a quote request for the 6" C Channel car hauler.

Some good food for thought about trailer lengths, but I'm thinking the slightly longer trailer for a couple reasons:

1) I only want to buy a trailer once, and the couple extra feet give me the flexibility for other stuff down the road;

2) I have a sled and might possibly get a quad down the road to haul with me on longer trips;

3) If the Mrs and I decide to start a family shortly and wanna bring little ones on weekend wheeling trips, I'd like to have room for a pop up - can't tent it all the time ---------> see #1 ;)

Info like this is exactly what me, the trailer noob, is looking for :D

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Well, it looks like PJ out in Manitoba has two 9990lb Buggy Haulers coming into stock ~25 Jul. $4400 for a 20'. Only problem is it is in MB.
Info like this is exactly what me, the trailer noob, is looking for :D

As long as you have considered the options and differences, both positive and negative. At 22' you'll have comfortable room for the quad sideways on the trailer. Not sure about room for the pop up in that space. Possibly a slide-in camper would be a better option. Me thinks you'd be pushing 30' to have enough room for both the rig and a pop-up. That's ALOT of trailer for someone not used to pulling them.

Always happy to help with guidance on a trailer, I've got alot of miles/years pulling them. Some of the shit you see out there is WAY scary. :beer:

That sounds like a good deal to me, most good 7000 lbs are ~$3500
MB is not that far to go, I just drove to Boston and back for a set of axles. :D

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
Well, the quotes are starting to come in. Basically, for something in the 20' X 102" X 10000lb range, I'm looking at prices ranging from $4400 for the Buggy Hauler to $7300 for the modified Car hauler I posted earlier. Deckovers are looking to be in the $6000 range.

I'm still waiting on some custom quotes to come back, but it looks like I may have to let my wallet do the talking on this one and go with the Buggy Hauler. I spoke with the Ontario PJ Trailers President, and he can get me the same price on the Buggy Hauler (I'm waiting to hear back if he can do the couple extras I asked for, for the same $$) as the dude in MB, so it would only be a few hours drive vs the 2 days drive to get it :p

Now that the trailer feature recommendations have been laid out, let's talk trailer brake controllers :D

Whadya got, whadya wish you had got, Whadya got that you wish you hadn't? :stir:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Got a link to the Buggy Hauler? I'm curious as to what it's like.

As for brake controlers, I've had 5 of them on 5 different trucks, the first one was a POS the rest were all the same. Current one is a DrawTite brand, others were Reese.

- Make sure it has a digital readout so you can tell exactly what it is set to. This one goes from 0 - 10 by 0.5 increments. I know I run my trailer at 2.0 empty and 4.5 loaded, simple as turning a dial on the side of it to change the bias. It'll take a couple runs playing with the adjustment to see where the sweet spot is for your setup.

- What made my first one a POS was rather than the digital readout, it had a colour chaning LED from green to orange and you had to tell from the shade of it how it was set, I was forever adjusting (like almost every stop) to try to get it tuned right. Some of the cheaper ones are still like this. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

- Unless you are a wireing wizard, have it installed at a hitch store, possibly where you buy the trailer, Especially if you don't have the factory 7 prong plug at the back. If/when there is a problem, it's easier to point a finger at them then yourself.

- Almost more importantly than the controller itself is where & how it is mounted. For some reason, alot of installers want to put it just above your right shin on the dash so you hit it every time you get in or out. Make sure it is both with in easy reach (without having to look at it - very important in emergency situations) and also easy to see. Personally I like them on the center portion of the dash below the ashtray/radio/hvac etc. It's important for it to be comfortable for YOU not where some monkey in a shop tells you.

- Also to consider is the plug location, most (even from the factory) are in a location that they get smashed the first snow bank you back into. The best place I've had so far was on teh first truck I removed one of the licence plate lights and put the plug there. Never once had a problem with it, all the others have been below the bumper and had some problems.

Make sure your tow rig has a tranny cooler.
:beer:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
My first one was a cheap electronic only that couldn't sense deceleration, it just applied a preset brake curve and I had to constantly release and reapply the brakes. The second one had a pendulum but they're sometimes a pain to adjust properly.

Now I have a Prodigy and I second it's nomination. It was recommended to me by my manager and it was recommended to him. Can work at any angle, it's all electronic yet senses deceleration, and it's easy to adjust while being flexible.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I have the REESE and love it - digital read out, easy to adjust and i agree with getting it installed by someone (at least i did). In fact that was part of the deal when i bought the truck "i want a brake controller thrown in and installed!" I had the same reese controller in my chevy so i can attest that it's a good unit.

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
Got a link to the Buggy Hauler? I'm curious as to what it's like.

Same one I posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.pjcanada.com/trailers_carhaulers_B5.html

- Also to consider is the plug location, most (even from the factory) are in a location that they get smashed the first snow bank you back into.

Already have that problem every winter :banghead:

I recommend the Prodigy.

My first one was a cheap electronic only that couldn't sense deceleration, it just applied a preset brake curve and I had to constantly release and reapply the brakes. The second one had a pendulum but they're sometimes a pain to adjust properly.

Now I have a Prodigy and I second it's nomination. It was recommended to me by my manager and it was recommended to him. Can work at any angle, it's all electronic yet senses deceleration, and it's easy to adjust while being flexible.

Gonna definitely check the Prodigy out....

I have the REESE and love it - digital read out, easy to adjust and i agree with getting it installed by someone (at least i did). In fact that was part of the deal when i bought the truck "i want a brake controller thrown in and installed!" I had the same reese controller in my chevy so i can attest that it's a good unit.

On the list....:D

Last edited:

blueguy

Jackstand Racer
Well, ordered up a custom trailer Friday from SPS Custom Fabrication down near T.O. http://www.spscustomfabrication.com/ .

I ended up ordering a custom 10,000lb GVWR car hauler with a 102" wide deck, removeable fold up ramps with the ability to load the trailer from all three sides, drive over fenders, LED's all around, rear support jacks, etc etc. all for $4400 taxes in including a two year warranty :smokin:

Gonna pick it up on the 8th :D

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Cool!
Sounds like you got a good deal too :smokin:

I've not yet seen one with decent drive-over fenders and the full width.
I look forward to seeing it in person to check the design for my next one.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Bumping this back up as I may be in the market for a trailer for the CJ this year.

So far I'm looking for:

- 18-20' length
- 5K axles
- brakes on both axles
- rear jacks
- spare tire
- drive over fenders

Anything else I should be looking for? Any brands/local trailer builders I should consider? The Dodge already has a goose neck hitch installed - would it be worth going that route?