New to me truck

ToyTaco

i have a budbuild skidplate cross member for a single case if your interested, this thing is beef and has ever been installed as well i have two sets of toy rear sprigs to make a hybrid pack to lift the front and you can use 2wd chev 63" springs to lift the rear this set up flexs like crazy. shoot me a pm if your interested. what shape is the frame in?

Z

ZR2Blazer

Man everyone telling me they have this and that for sale is really making me loose focus on getting it running good for winter. lol I'm interested but not till the spring.

Frame is in good shape, the front left behind the leaf spring mount is shot and the passenger side is starting to rot out to. So what is a good way to plate a frame? I was thinking about cutting a plate that is like 2" wide by 9" long then running that into the frame. Then cutting a slit into the frame close to the end of the plate then welding that into the frame on both ends. Then come back and have a patch to fit into the rust hole then weld that to the frame and to my plate. Then above all that run a plate over the top running the whole length of the stock plate?

Probably way to much of a over kill but I'd say it would be strong.

Z

ZR2Blazer

Anyone have a stock rear axle shaft and a v6 third member? Really need the axle shaft.

J

Jrock

I've got a rear axle out of a ifs rear. I would trade you for a set of your rear brake brackets as I want to do the same to my truck.

Z

ZR2Blazer

Jrock i need a SFA rear axles. If you have them sounds like a good trade. Just a heads up these are just cut out by hand. Some grinding and drilling will be needed.

Also anyone know anything about having a street legal truggy? Rear frame is shot and looking at cutting it out and 4 linking it. Can it be street legal after words?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Jrock i need a SFA rear axles. If you have them sounds like a good trade. Just a heads up these are just cut out by hand. Some grinding and drilling will be needed.

Also anyone know anything about having a street legal truggy? Rear frame is shot and looking at cutting it out and 4 linking it. Can it be street legal after words?

Really hard to get a safety on something this elaborate. Most shops wouldn't touch it. Great mod for off-road, I did somthing similar to mine before I cut it all up. Check my build thread for how I did it. Adrian (aweber) did something similar also.

As for the proportioning valve at the back of the truck: Toss it in the garbage. It's actually a load-sensing valve via the bar attached to the axle to change the brake bias depending on load in the back of the truck. Get one of the universal adjustable ones (Wildwood or similar they're only $50 or so) and mount it near the master.

Looking forward to the build. Complete one thing at a time but do it right the first time. My V8 swap has turned into a full buggy build, not that I'm complaining, I'd rather have a buggy than a full bodied truck but that's my preference.

:beer:

Last edited:
Z

ZR2Blazer

I have all the stuff for the disk brake swap. Thanks to Ron (lwbzook I dont know if hes on here or not) for the proportioning valve and the spool. All that is left is doing the machining on the rotors. After that I just have to install and bleed, on that not how do you bleed a system with a proportioning valve? Open it all the way and bleed then adjust?

But I was able to cut about 3mm off my stock axle shaft and get all the bad teeth. Shes installed with the new spool. Probably not the safest but at least now I can roll it in and out, also have a trail spare to.

Lockers are sweet, first truck I have had one in. Really didn't notice it much the little I drove it around except for slow turns. Donuts rock with a locker :) . Tomorrow I will get some pics of it, hoping to get the brakes on so I can bleed them Friday.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Another thing to note: with the Chevy calipers you lose the parking brake (unless you're running the Caddy stuff), and that will be a sticking point on a safety inspection as well.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I HAVE been told that this will not meet Ontario safety standards.. It's why i had to go with the M.O.R.E. cable setup to bridge in the 8.8 on the TJ for e-brakes. I wanted to go the TC brake route... Now that was with the two different shops i talked to regarding safety.

Weird considering both Samari's and FJ40's both use a T-Case e-brake and pass.. Fawking Government Stooges....

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Both Zuk and the FJ40 pass safety because they came as equiped from the manufacturer.
In the case with the runner it will not pass, unless the parts are DMV approved - they are not as we know.
Also the 4 link is no-no.

Z

ZR2Blazer

I'm not worried about the parking brake. I know a few shops around town that can bend the rules a bit. My blazer doesn't have a parking brake and it was fine, now a rusted frame might be a bit of a hassle.