New to this!

J.A.S.

Hey everyone!

Just starting to get in to off-roading and overlanding And just moved to the area. Looking to learn as much as possible and go on some adventures. Looking for opportunities to get out on some basic trails to start learning the ins and outs of this fun sport.

cheers!

J.A.S.

You guys will probably get a chuckle, but I drive a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. Just started getting in to doing mods. Started with new AT tires, and a few other changes, but starting to get in to bigger, better changes now. Don’t really have any experience off-roading or overlanding (probably won’t be able to keep up with the Jeep guys) but I’m really looking to get started and learn. Got any tips?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Probably? You won't keep up, period.

Your Crosstrek is decent for gravel roads, look up the Swisha Loop route on graveltravel.ca. We did some of it last summer, it was all gravel when sticking to the main road. Mind you, we only made it up 100KM of the official road, so you may find yourself in a spot you would need to turn around, but that's what overlanding is all about.

Without a transfer case/low range, you're going to smoke a clutch and/or transmission in our world. A low range is essential.

J.A.S.

Totally get what you’re saying. I’m not living in fantasy land, promise. Lol. Don’t actually think my XV would be able to keep up with any rock crawling or any higher degrees of off roading. I’m more looking for overland trips more than anything. But I’m going to assume this club may not be the place for that, is that the case?

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
There are a few on here who are more into overlanding, and there are a few trips typically planned throughout the year. Look through the trail reports and pics to see if they might be a fit for what you're comfortable with.

Oh, and welcome.

badcompany

Club Member
I'm in Toronto. I would not call my self an "overlander" and that word sucks btw, but I like long trips in remote locations. I done a few. If your ever up this way we can meet for a coffee and chat about it..
Farook