Noob question

J

jeff.d

Hey OVO,

Im new to this forum and to the off roading world. I am hoping to buy a used chevy colorado in the spring, mostly because I drive a '85 c10 right now(its for sale btw) and I like driving a truck but I really dont need a full sized truck. Im pretty set on the colorado, and I was just wondering what can I expect for its off road abilities in stock form and with a 4" lift and 33" tires?

Thanks for any imput,
Jeff:beer:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Welcome to OVO!

Any pics or an add for the C10? I've got little to add on the Colorado/Canyon front. Likely will wheel like most stock-ish IFS rigs - okay on the easier trails but hard on front end parts in the rough stuff.

90XJHO

As a Colorado owner I say keep it on the street, unless your going to invest some serious coin in it. On the up side trail running a Colorado the ball joints unbolt and are quick to change :p. If you lift it get a good kit with nuckles to decrease the angle on the tie rods as the stock nuckles they bolt in from the bottom and have a wicked angle on them. As they get older the rack seals leak.... Front brakes are a captive rotors they can get expencive as well as the Hub assembly's. I was orignally going to invest a pile of cash into mine, then I bought my XJ
I'm glad I have both when one is broke haha.

What I wanted to do with my Colorado
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820227/2004-gmc-canyon-crew-cab-sle-pickup-4d-5-ft

Matt

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
Is this a colorado :)

J

jeff.d

Yeah those trucks are sick but I also need a truck to drive to work (I'm a welder) with respectable fuel mileage. I'm not looking to wheel any crazy trails, just have a little fun in the mud with my buddies. My other friend has a stock Liberty.

Here's my C10, I'm just finishing up the new bed, done by me and my grandpa who is a carpenter.

246501_10150935400674037_410364735_n.jpg534669_10151158506394037_1293753646_n.jpg

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Yeah those trucks are sick but I also need a truck to drive to work (I'm a welder) with respectable fuel mileage. I'm not looking to wheel any crazy trails, just have a little fun in the mud with my buddies. My other friend has a stock Liberty.

Here's my C10, I'm just finishing up the new bed, done by me and my grandpa who is a carpenter.

View attachment 1446View attachment 1447

If that's all you're looking to do, I'd consider the Z71 package with a more aggressive MT style tire, and call it a day.

Nice C10. If/when you have a price in mind, post it up.

J

jeff.d

Thats what I was thinking I would do. Would you say its not really worth putting more into it because IFS limits your offroading ability?

Im asking 5500 or best offer. Its an '85 with around 273000 kms. 350 engine, th350 tranny, stepside, hardly any rust.

trixter192

Club Member
Turn the c10 into an offroader and keep the colorado as a daily driver. It's probably not worth much, so you don't have a lot to lose.

J

jeff.d

why would I jack up a 2wd truck? and I dont have the space or money to have 2 rigs.

trixter192

Club Member
2wd, right.

Well, I've done a few of the easier trails on my IFS FJ. It's certainly possible to do it. I'm not sure how different our wheelbases are, though. MY back drop off needs to be improved, though. I've banged up my rear bumper a little bit, so I'd imagine a truck bed would be even worse (with 32 or 33" tires). Mudding is effortless, just raise your breathers. The paint WILL be pinstriped on tight trails. And just warning you that your daily driver might be broken and you might be left without a vehicle. I have a ton of fun doing what I do, and you can too. Sometimes you can't always listen to all these hardcore buggie junkies :D