Odd length shackles. WHY?

dougiet

Hi, I have a question. The shackle length on my YJ has a 6-inch rear and a 4-inch front Why?

I don't know if the springs in the front are the same height as the rear which are 3-inch lift springs, I believe, and could be.

Last edited:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Mine were always the same length. I'm just guessing but maybe to fine tune the front and rear heights? Or add a little pinion angle to the rear?

dougiet

Thanks.

The front of the jeep is lower, the body mounts are welded lower in height on the frame from the bulkhead to the rad grill.

Have seen a winch hooked up to the front axle to lower the nose and the center of gravity on an uphill climb on the flick of a switch.

Keeping more bodyweight on the front can assist in the steering and tire grip I think.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Most vehicles have a rake from the factory to cheap fuel mileage/aero as I understand it. The winch to lower the nose started with the air shock guys from what I recall - their design basically has them unload easily, making hillclimbs a challenge. Not sure if it's that common outside of that, but I've been a web wheeler for too long :(

My 2 cents - don't overthink it (I'm reaaaaaally bad for that), get out on the trails and see how it works as it sits.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I've never really seen a suck down winch used on a leaf spring vehicle. As mentioned, it's used on suspension systems that tend to unload (push up) when the nose gets light, like air shocks and poorly tuned coil overs....