Posi vs locker vs spool - front axle

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Thoughts? The recent vids from Schooners look like fun, so I guess I need a front traction device at some point (and chromos). I recall one of the DMR guys mentioning that the locker was blowing up his rear steer setup, and the spool fixed it, so wondering if the same might be true up front. Selectable isn't quite in the budget at the moment, although if it's that much of a deal breaker, I'll wait.

EDIT: Waggy D44, CJ7, LQ4, 205 case (no doubler yet), etc, etc. Any other details, just...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
Short of having some type of hydro based steering i would steer clear of posi/lincoln or spool based locker in the front. Selectable in the front is great, especially in tight areas (Ask Pierre). Turning especially when pressure on system is really hard when no option to unlock or power through it. Gets tiring having to make multipoint turns at easy areas, which is what often happens) so I would suggest lunchbox Locker at minimum, and selectable in front is best. Alternatively some form of hydro assist or full hydro to compensate. (my thoughts.. keep the change :))

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Hydro assist is there already (sorry, forgot to mention that), need to twin stick the 205 to help with turning and front digs, but until I get chromos, that seems like a bad idea. Lunchbox was the most likely plan.

@CaptainFitz Schooners - would you recommend or have done it with just the rear locked?

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
I have onl;y run about half Schooner, based on what I did (I have selectable lockers) i left open and locked when needed, there were some spots that it was really needed. so i would say you "might" be able to do it without, but i wouldn't recommend it...

I would still suggest a lunchbox over anything solid. helps with the stresses on the front end. but selectable in the front is really nice, and if you want to drive it on road, then minimal lunchbox minimum for sure.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Thanks @CaptainFitz . In your eyes (you're a better driver than I), what trails in the area would you say need a front locker?

Mostly trying to figure out if it's worth going lunchbox/chromos, or spending that money on tons instead in the future. Not sure how the Waggy axles are going to fair with a larger v8, although 35-37's are the end of the line for tire size for me.

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
that is a bit of a trick question to answer. "Most" trails can be done without it, though always the risk of having to winch here or there. i.e. you would be able to do most of Quinn trail open, but pinion pass is unlikely, and the Le Piton spot you would need. Crag to the lake no problem (beyond the lake might be tough in a few spots), some of the newer trails like Schooner or Greenmountain would need it. While trails can be done without, there are all the playing obstacles along the way that if you want to try, really need lockers.

Each vehicle works different, (on paper vs. reality) Some open go places others with lockers struggle. I am not sure i have ever seen your jeep out, so i cannot comment on it more specifically. but come out and drive it, then decide!