Project 4Runner Trail/Family Rig

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Got the exhaust all done.

Went to the old camper and cut the exhaust off it. It had my old stainless Magnaflow from the original buggy on it. After getting it in the garage I released that although it was still nice on the outside, the inside was rotten away.

So a trip to CT and I got the cheapest 2.5" muffler I could find:

I was worried about the whole "Thrush" sound thing, but figured I would take a gamble. Turns out it is nice and quiet!! But when you get on it it sound pretty Bad Ass ;)

Tried to keep the outlet as out of the way as possible:

So now it is 2.5" from the manifold back ;)

I also assembled and installed the tailgate, all works perfect.

Pretty much ready to go now, just need to get the 35's installed and balanced.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Also took it out and climbed a bunch of the rocks around my place, 4wd all works great :smokin:

D

DuuhMojo

Awesome can't wait to see it in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Should have posted up - I've got a 2 1/2" Magnaflow kicking around that I won't be using, brand new.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Drained all the old gas, put new stuff in and some injector cleaner. Decided to change the plugs as well. All come out very easy except for #5 - Fucker felt like it was going to strip the threads in the aluminum head.

Did some research on the internet and to confirm asked Mitko his opinion and it was to loosen it off a bit and soak overnight in this shit:

7081146_blr_16pb_pri_larg.jpg

Sure enough, after about 36 hours of soak, I started loosening and tightening the plug, back and forth and it actually came out! And here I thought I would have to heli-coil the head for sure. :beer:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I go between PB and Liquid wrench on which is better (although consensus is that kroil is better but you can't get it in canada).

Drained all the old gas, put new stuff in and some injector cleaner. Decided to change the plugs as well. All come out very easy except for #5 - Fucker felt like it was going to strip the threads in the aluminum head.

Did some research on the internet and to confirm asked Mitko his opinion and it was to loosen it off a bit and soak overnight in this shit:

View attachment 2964

Sure enough, after about 36 hours of soak, I started loosening and tightening the plug, back and forth and it actually came out! And here I thought I would have to heli-coil the head for sure. :beer:

junkpile

PB definitely works but it sure does stink!
Congrats on the save! I know the feeling, I got lucky with a broken plug in my 3rz the other night. Mine was #2. I was able to extract the broken plug and save the threads. Good for another 100,000kms!

Last edited:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
So last time I had it out, the 4runner made some horrible noises on a night run - I found out the t-case mount had broken free from the bolts and stripped the threads.

Also, the clutch was slipping like a MF.

The bud-built crossmember uses these stupid little bolts to hold it on:

They had no real thread engagement and stripped right out so I drilled and tapped for 3/8's and will put it back together using grade 8 hardware.

Also, I could not get the skid plate off - allen bolts stripped - stupid things, so I drilled that out for 3/8's also:

On to the clutch, I needed to change the pilot bearing as well, the usual trick of packing grease in the hole and hitting a bolt into the center did not work, it just popped out the bearing cap :(

So I made a slide hammer out of an old fox shock shaft and a toy CV :lmao:

And it worked!!!

Yay, Me! :flipoff:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Leave it 6 cyl and go 6BT :stir:

I even already got one ;) But nah, way to fawking big and heavy lol - Seems like the Merc 5cyl from a 300D is the most popular (other than VW) but nothing like a cummins :smokin:

M

MadMax

Looks awesome......got a serious itch to go wheeling soon.....Cummings would be a bad a$$ swap:)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I even already got one ;) But nah, way to fawking big and heavy lol - Seems like the Merc 5cyl from a 300D is the most popular (other than VW) but nothing like a cummins :smokin:

Agreed on the weight, and that the Merc 5cyl is probably the way to go. I'd think the VW's are a little too underpowered for Runner, unless you are talking the big diesel out of a Tourag/Audi Q-series.

junkpile

A 6BT?? Lol! x3 for too big and heavy! 1000lbs of diesel on a yota frame?? Lotsa plating needed. Not to mention the 6" body lift and giant hole you'd have to cut in the firewall/dash to fit that that beast under the hood, lol!

junkpile

As far as the VW diesels go I thought they'd be a little anaemic too but apparently they do alright. [MENTION=1838]djtc[/MENTION] has experience with a couple VW diesels in a extra cab Toyota pickup he had.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

junkpile

Lololol! Common man! The LC is a full size truck. That Cummins powered one is a pretty sweet ride by the way.
The first gen 4Runner engine bay is small. About 32" from firewall to rad support, and about 20" from the underside of the hood to the top of the frame rail.
Quick google search,ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453157181.064812.jpg

Last edited: