PROJECT: Big Country XJ

M

moto

Today the XJ sat on its own 4 wheels for the first time in about 6 months!

We finished cleaning up the few remaining bits on the 8.8 and put it back together. The calipers were checked for serviceability but we didnt have a chance to really clean them up. I have a second pair that will be rebuilt, sand blasted and maybe powder coated but these ones should get me by for now. The retreads at Crappytire gave me the wrong pads but one of the brake sets had almost new pads on them so we used those for now. Stainless lines come off the calipers into fabricated hard lines to the t-junction then another stainless to the factory line. As you may be able to tell from the pictures, the rear leaf springs are very close to hitting the tires. We kinda expected that but spacers are on the way and that should sort out the problem and bring the width inline with the front being that the 8.8 is a bit narrow.

The front Bushwackers got installed and they line up pretty nicely.

So tomorrow we need to make a parts run first thing in the morning to pick up the new Optima yellow top battery and other sundry odds and ends. When we come back we should be on to replacing the floors! Oh joy!!

Last edited:
J

j-p618

im gonna show up tomorrow what are you gonna be back from that parts run or you want before so i can do things whiles your on the run

M

moto

Drive shafts were installed today. Steering stabilizer was partially installed. We are missing a bolt for it. We got all the metal cut out for the front floors but found out that the rivets were just a touch big so they didnt get installed. We kinda ran out of steam early today so we will pick it up tomorrow morning with yet another parts run. We are short more sheet metal and a few other small items. Oh yeah.. my wheel spacers are on back order. Dont you hate it when a site lists an item that isnt in stock? Ill take some progress pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Are you sure those u-bolts are tight enough? Looks like the springs are still curved at the perch and the axle will rotate back and forth.

D

Daeo

We didn't torque them down yet just in case we have to take off the axle for anything. We don't want to stretch the Ubolts just yet.

J

j-p618

how is it going ???

i have been laying in bed the 2 last with as a dog ......poor dog.....

i even got part and th're on in the kitchen didnt even made the garage .....

M

moto

Floors are almost in. We have been working hard over the last few days. I took some pictures and will post them up probably tomorrow.

M

moto

We managed to drive her out of the garage this past week. Still some floor to finish and herculiner. More to come.

Impact

Nice to meet you today.

The Cherokee sure looks good and has a nice stance to it and you filled the floor in nicely!

I still think you could have crammed 35's under her ;)