Project Minivan

D

DoctorPhate

So after my horrendous performance at Lavant and holding everyone up for a good 30 minutes minimum on one obstacle I decided to formally make a list of everything that I need to get done and post it up here so I can see it and track my progress.

I created a to do list and will be checking it off as I work through. Most things will be done in spring but a few things I'll get on over the winter as long as its close to bolt on in 30-40 minutes kind of thing.

-----------------
2 inch Lift kit...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
One think I cant understand - why you are keep caling your **** a minivan? As far as I know minivan is this:

and this

and also this

but not what you are driving.
Also according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minivan your vehicle is everything but not mimivan.

D

DoctorPhate

I call it a minivan because thats what others who own TJs and YJs call it. Plus its about as capable as a minivan right now with its low ground clearance.

You missed the Joke mitko :(

Its no longer funny. lol

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Never heard one caling tj or yj minivan, people usually call them jeeps. Use to own both tj and yj in the past and know most of the "jeep thing" crap but the minivan one. Obviously missed the joke, wonder is there any, or it is part of the joke writing my name with lower letters :pissed:.
Yes it is no longer funny although I asked a very simple question without any intend to offence.

D

DoctorPhate

lol no I took no offense and I didn't mean to put your name in lower case letters Mitko lol.

I've got much love for you, your G-wagons and your "yeah yeah.. Give 'er" that you said to matt with his last jeep. I laughed so hard when he told me that story.

<3

Edit: oh and it was guys WITH TJs and YJs calling MY jeep a station wagon or minivan. I chose minivan for the title because it was more catchy.. :D

Baja

You would be surprised at what a well built XJ can do. The can be very capable wheelers. Their wheelbase is longer then a TJ and a YJ a do very well in hill climbs. Now I may be a little bias :p but I have seen Dwayne's and Merek's XJ's do some amazing stuff. And I am slowly building mine to be that capable to.

D

DoctorPhate

oh yeah, once they are built they are awesome. Combine that with the ability to actually have people in the back seat and some decent cargo room and you have an excellent all around vehicle.

Just right now its like a minivan lol. Merek's XJ is awesome. There were several things on his that I saw and thought would look stupid but actually look really good. I'm glad i went wheeling with him.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
The only advise I can give you is that air lockers front and rear on the stock axles is a waste of cash. As a daily driver I can see you going selectable in the rear, but don't put any money into that front axle :beer:

D

Dirk

If you absolutely want a locked front, pickup a lunchbox locker for that 30, if you don't plan over 31" rubber. Anything else, as Adrian said, its a waste of money and effort.

Billygoat

If you absolutely want a locked front, pickup a lunchbox locker for that 30, if you don't plan over 31" rubber. Anything else, as Adrian said, its a waste of money and effort.

On this point, what would be the best/easiest (read: cheapest) upgrade for the front of the XJ if he wants to go 33" or 35"?

Baja

I have kept my d30 alive locked on 33's. I am fairly hard on it too. But you do need a good 6 inches of lift AND a sawsall to run 33's on an XJ with no swaybar and fully flexing it out. (and I still rub)
Dirk is right, pick up a lunchbox locker.
But to go 35's you would need chromo's and they are not cheap.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
While I don't see the point of polishing the 30 myself, if the plans are no larger than 33's, why not build them? True, they are pretty much maxed out at that point, and chromo's only move the breaking point somewhere else (R&P I think), but it beats the costs and difficulty of swapping in a D44/60/something for us non-fabricators.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
My experience with the D30 is you can wheel it with 33" tires. Yes it will break sometime, but how often is up to your driving and it will still be cheaper than swapping out. You can also carry some spare shafts and tools too.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
D30 will break soon or later with 33s, probably soon. My broke on the first serious run - grenaded the spider gears and produced a bunch of cesar salad inside the pumpkin.
Yes it will break sometime, but how often is up to your driving and it will still be cheaper than swapping out.
Yeah thats right - on a DD mode they will last bit longer but dont forget - it is weak axle in general, the added weight, stress and resistance of the bigger tires shortens the live of the consisting parts big time. Have seeing guys with d30 and big tires changing WB and BJ on a monthly basis.

D

DoctorPhate

Whoa this got popular.. I never said I was going to do lockers.

I am planning on lockers down the road but I'm going with D44 front axle when I do that. Air lockers ofcourse.

Not sure where this came from lol

szabotage

So after my horrendous performance at Lavant and holding everyone up for a good 30 minutes minimum on one obstacle I decided to formally make a list of everything that I need to get done and post it up here so I can see it and track my progress.

I created a to do list and will be checking it off as I work through. Most things will be done in spring but a few things I'll get on over the winter as long as its close to bolt on in 30-40 minutes kind of thing.

-----------------
2 inch Lift kit

5x 31 inch ATs

5x Steelie rims

D30 cover -Bought

C8.25 Cover

Front bumper -Done

Rear Bumper -In Progress

Gas tank skid plate

T-case Skid Plate

Engine skid plate

New Rockers

Winch

AIR LOCKERS FRONT AND REAR.

Ummm, it was your last mod listed

D

DoctorPhate

wow.. you know you're tired when you don't notice you write something like that lol.

for future reference.. anything that I write in full caps lock.. disregard.. I'm either high or super tired lol.

Sorry for the confusion there. Yes it is in my plans, but only once I have a D44 front. If I was properly awake when I wrote that I would have specified once I have a D44 only.

Edit: I see you cap locked it.. Not sure why I wrote that without specifying that I wanted a D44.. thats weird..

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
On this point, what would be the best/easiest (read: cheapest) upgrade for the front of the XJ if he wants to go 33" or 35"?

Best and cheapest rarely go together.

To run 35s, you need a D44 minimum. Ya, ya, there are people out there who will claim to have run them on a smaller axle (or know someone who has) without problems but they are are pushing their luck. Even running 35s on a locked 44 with stock axle shafts is not enough if you plan on beating on it alot.

Short answer:
33s -- Stock 44
35's -- stock 44 if you are light footed otherwise built 44 or stock 60.
Broken axles suck bigtime.

:beer:

D

DoctorPhate

Im probably going to max out at 33s but might go as high as 35s.. in which case i'll build the 44.