Project- Never Been Flexxxed

B

blair_b

Thought I'd post up some info on the current truck. Unfortunately I did a poor job of maintaining a photographic history of events...a really poor job, so you'll have to imagine a lot of it. The following outlines my wheeling history leading up to my current project dubbed "never been flexxxed"- cause it hasn't. I have 3 "X's" because it sounds provocative. I apologize if this gets a little bedtime storyish.

First a look at the heep that started it all for me- Blackie the 89' XJ. This is...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
B

blair_b

Rear shock mounts on the xj are friggin terrible, as you can see they hang down quite a bit- snagalicious. So got some new mounts and changed it up.
The old:

The new:

After selling off parts from Blackie to fund parts for the new rig funds have run very dry, so instead of buying real sway bar disconnects I opted for the custom TSC models. Two farm pins with an assortment washers and garden hose washers to keep things not only tight, but quiet as well. Very nice:

Got the cb and antenna mounted. I'm really happy with the antenna location and fit:

Decided to paint the Bushwackers body colour...well close to body colour. Went with some plastic primer. Got some spray bombs mixed up using the paint code....turned out lime green? Ended up taking a chip from my flaky hood and matching some Duplicolour truck & suv paint from Canadian Tire....cheaper than the autoparts mix and a way better match- we'll just say it looks better at night or covered in mud... I hate mud. Shot some clear on there too. Turned out not bad, although there's some runs and a bit of solvent popping.

Went ahead with trimming the fenders before mounting the flares. Front end went really well. We used a skill saw and an angle grinder. Sealed up the edges with seam sealer. The back end is a whole different story. Bushwackers instructs you to cut the qtr's past the pinch welds.... I'm no rocker surgeon, but that would cause the inner and outer sheet metal to separate.... me no likey. Instead we cut slots every 4-6" and hammered the steel up into the wheel well. It took some creative trimming, but everything fits well enough and I didn't have to break out the spray foam! Pretty happy with the results.

The rock rails I took off Blackie were powder coated.... don't get me wrong I'm sure on certain applications the stuff is great, but for anything that is going to get scratched or hit it's complete garbage. The stuff flakes off, rusts and can't be touched up easily. So I had opted to have the bars sand blasted and epoxy primed- this is an area where I opted to spend some money- not bad over all. I took lots of it off with chemical stripper, which sucked. The rest they blasted and primed for $100- really great job. Blast All in Almonte. For the next step I went all out and broke the bank with a couple cans of tremclad. Next time I mark up the bars it's just a quick wash, rattle and spray- beauty.

I think that's the end of my long winded tale for now. Here's a pic of the truck as of today, still never been flexxxed, but with any luck very soon:

D

DoctorPhate

shes a beauty. I should be picking up my XJ in an other week or so. Its not going to be anywhere NEAR like that but that is deffinately something to aspire to lol. + snorkel.. lol

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Wow Blair, cool lookin new rig! Too bad you missed Gorge, lots of places to flex'r out there now.

D

Dirk

Finally got enough time to read all that....:D..... good write up tho, except that you must have run with much wiener kids that i in school....cause none of us ever peed ourselves. :flipoff:

Nice looking rig, good work man, too bad you missed the Gorge run.

B

blair_b

yeah... wind bag eh? sorry about that. I was fairly pissed about missing the run, especially since the problem was so lame. Tranny cooler going in very soon. Also gonna change the t-stat. We all know XJ's run stupidly hot, but this one is approaching scary- hoping it's just the t-stat... and I thought the open cooling system would alleviate some of the past headaches caused by the closed arrgh.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
No he means open as in typical North American style cooling system (rad cap, non-pressurized bottle), all the early Cherokee's ran a closed system (European style as Renault owned them then) with no direct access to the radiator and a pressurized overflow bottle. Alot of Cherokee overheating issues are attributed to this system but almost all European made vehicles use this system as do alot of new NA vehicles. So I don't know if I agree with this theory. 4.0's make alot of heat but I ran mine on 2 auxiallary AC fans last year and it cooled it fine.

Dwayne
:beer:

R

Root Moose

No he means open as in typical North American style cooling system (rad cap, non-pressurized bottle), all the early Cherokee's ran a closed system (European style as Renault owned them then) with no direct access to the radiator and a pressurized overflow bottle. Alot of Cherokee overheating issues are attributed to this system but almost all European made vehicles use this system as do alot of new NA vehicles. So I don't know if I agree with this theory. 4.0's make alot of heat but I ran mine on 2 auxiallary AC fans last year and it cooled it fine.

Agreed. The problem probably lies elsewhere if the T-stat doesn't help. Two obvious things are worn water pump and clogged radiator.

B

blair_b

Update

Been awhile. Well I solved the cooling issue- threw in a new rad, works like a charm now.

Way back in June Dirk got his hands on my rear rigidity issue and dropped a few leafs from the pack to allow some give and droop. Worked well, but still had some shackle to frame unfriendly touching and I lost some rear height.... and we couldn't have that.

So got some extended shackles from National4wd- thanks Dan. Sitting very nice and slightly above level in the rear- happy.

Jeep had it's first official run back in July. Ran the Gorge... or at least part of it from what I understand. Worked well, flexxxed good as expected. Made it out with a newly detached shock mount, easily welded back into place. All was good, then I blew a tire on the Belamy heading home.

Flash forward to this week- now running some new boots. ProComp Xterrains.

B

blair_b

Hoping to get out very soon. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the run board. Tough to find the time, but either I get out or I start thinking hard about the mass of steel taking up space in my driveway. That kind of talk makes Jeeps nervous, but at least this one isn't a case of Old Yeller... no need to put down a fine pet like this one.

D

DoctorPhate

aside from the front bumper thats exactly what I want to do with my jeep. Expedition look is what I'm going for.