Project Redpoint

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Nothing picture worthy, but a few more tasks knocked off the list: front drive shaft, exhaust (sounds just how I remember it), gas pedal, and pulled the transmision cover out of the old jeep to put into the new one.

On Sunday when everything was hooked up we noticed the brake lights were on all the time... today I poked my head under the dash and the pedal is not making contact with the switch. I measured the output shaft (proper name?) from the brake booster and it appears to either be about 1/4" shorter than the one from my jeep or it's just not extending out all the way. Seems odd that there would be two different lengths for the same year?

Remaining:
Sort out brake light
Re-wire efan.
Replace battery cable ends.
Install gear shifter and tranny cover.
Install rear drive shaft.
Install driver seat.
Install soft top.
Install head lights / HID's.
Install front bumper.
Sort out rear tail light wiring / trailer wiring harness.

O.D.

Club Member
I am assuming you are talking about the contact point under the pedal itself? I had that EXACT issue with O.D.... In the interest of time, i simply added a small amount of PL on the contact side to raise it up a bit and problem was resolved.

I never did figure out why all of a sudden there was a gap. And in my case, i used the same piece??

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Some of those shafts are adjustable. Not sure if the Jeep one is though....

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Did you replace the booster then? If so maybe you left an extra spacer on? Is the booster sitting square as maybe it is not all the way seated?

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I am assuming you are talking about the contact point under the pedal itself?

Yep, that is exactly what I am talking about.

Hmm, well the rod does turn, I will see if rotating it a few times changes the length. Thanks Adrian.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Did you replace the booster then? If so maybe you left an extra spacer on? Is the booster sitting square as maybe it is not all the way seated?

It is the original booster from the black TJ with my peddle assembly. It is sitting flush on the firewall and so are the pedals. I neither had spacers. Would spacing the peddles out from the firewall using a washer be acceptable?

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
It is the original booster from the black TJ with my peddle assembly. It is sitting flush on the firewall and so are the pedals. I neither had spacers. Would spacing the peddles out from the firewall using a washer be acceptable?

I don't think you can just space it, I know when you change the booster on an XJ to a different one you usually have to cut and weld the rod to make it the right length but that doesn't make sense on a TJ with a stock setup. I would post or look on a TJ forum to see if anybody else has run into this. Look up the booster and pedal for the 2 different years and see if they are the same.

Baja

I have also seen where guys just thread the rod out, find a bolt with the same threads that is longer and cut to the right length.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I read just a little while ago that the brake light switch is self adjusting... Supposedly it is just pushed all the way in and needs to be pulled out... Then when you lift your foot off the brake it will self adjust itself to the proper length

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I read just a little while ago that the brake light switch is self adjusting... Supposedly it is just pushed all the way in and needs to be pulled out... Then when you lift your foot off the brake it will self adjust itself to the proper length

This was it. Used a pair of side cutter as a pry bar of sorts... it clicked out once and extended about 1/4". It was just barely touching the brake pedal arm. One more click and it's all good now.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Another day, another step closer. If I hadn't spent most of this weekend hungover it might have actually been finished! Tranny cover swapped over, HID's installed (man those are bright!), efan partially re-wired for the 70 amp relay (was 30), front bumper positioned... hole alignment doesn't seem perfect, will probably have to drill it a bit, soft top swapped over.

Remaining:
Re-wire efan.
Replace battery cable ends.
Install rear drive shaft.
Install driver seat.
Install front bumper.
Sort out rear tail light wiring / trailer wiring harness.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
97% done now. I dropped the rear drive shaft I had off at Malmberg and had it lengthened to 20" (I have a super short SYE) and it's now installed, Andrew finished re-wiring the efan in the engine bay and I tapped it into keyed power, dash is buttoned up, switches installed, driver seat installed, front bumper is bolted down.

I messed up one of the crimp connectors for the 70 amp relay, and now I can't find replacements... this is for the really large fin. Anyone have any suggestions? We tried canadian tire, parts source, that electrical store on merivale, and PA. Nadda.

When I was cycling the steering to get the air out of the system, I noticed the steering column moved, doh! Seems I missed re-installing the tilt steering lock, and I don't remember seeing anything in the jeep pile. Good thing I have a donor!

All that is left for this rebuild is to crimp the one connector for the efan relay, install the shift boot / knob, and install the steering tilt thingy, then I will roll it out of the tent and park it for the winter, anxiously awaiting spring :)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I doubt it but call Active Electronics. They are near ikea right below where DeBoer Dante was. If they don't have it they may be able to point you in the right direction

trixter192

Club Member
I doubt it but call Active Electronics. They are near ikea right below where DeBoer Dante was. If they don't have it they may be able to point you in the right direction

They moved. Now beside Food Basics on Merivale.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I'm not sure why I complained all winter that my old tub and frame took up too much space in the garage... who knew it could be quickly made to fit in the corner.