Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
It is 849.00 for the year - pretty reasonable especially considering the appraisal value. It is with Nordic Insurance out of Toronto - I am with Intact insurance but apparently Nordic is affiliated with them in some way and take the policies that Intact won't. getting the plate was painless too even though Service Ontario Pembroke had never dealt with this and had to call someone to ask for the procedure, but that took only minutes and I was in and out in 20 minutes.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I just had to write a declaration of what I had done to the vehicle to make it offroad only, I have 1 million in coverage.

Impact

This is interesting... I'm surprised with how quick it was to get the plate! I figured that would have been the biggest gong show!

Any idea how easy it would be to change provincial plates down the road if you were ever to move?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
hmmm, i'm not sure about that but I assume it would be a similar process - easier perhaps seeing as it has already been tagged here.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
No, all good. We had some trees come down, one in the front and a few in the back that just fell in the forest. Others aren't so lucky, there are alot of damaged homes here, and a few less trees. The bowling alley lost it's roof too.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Put her on the scales yesterday on the way home...

4600 lbs. Still a bit heavy but i'll live with it... for now!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I knew right from the beginning that the stock Ford knuckles were a weak link - hence all the gusset kits for them but I figured i'd be ok with only 40's and hydro assist...wrong! For all the guys running the 60 Ford's, I suggest upgrading or at least gusseting - 6 hours to get off the trail that day and it was ugly, definitely a break I don't want to repeat!

Chevy knuckles have more "meat" on them so they are GTG, in fact the Ried Racing knuckles (and all the rest of the aftermarket ones I believe) are based in design on the chevy's but with a lot more reinforcement. Looking back the knuckle started to crack at North Augusta (Matt, Adrian remember the "snaps" during a front dig?) and finally broke in 2 at Rausch. When that happened the wheel and hub assembly was no longer apart of the vehicle.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Next, I needed to get some skin... errr I mean skins. So I ordered a bunch of trick tabs from TMR, got them in place and melted them in. Next decision was what was I going to skin it with? In my mind there were only two choices - plastic or aluminum. I chose aluminum and although .090 thickness is what is usually used I decided to use .060 instead.

First I made a cardboard template and once I was happy with it I cut the aluminum...

Here's the progress...

DSCF4028_zps10581283.jpg

DSCF4029_zps02a617f6.jpg

DSCF4031_zpsf1f713aa.jpg

DSCF4032_zpsb8395813.jpg

DSCF4033_zpsa4056956.jpg