Pulling carrier on a Ford Dana 60

O.D.

Club Member
I am at that stage where i am about to now remove the carrier on my front axle to replace the inner seals.. I have seen allot of reference to using the "Rag" method but still looking for details on how that works.. Anyone know?

Short of a case spreader, from all accounts the rag method is the best route to take (Correct me if i am wrong)?

Once i have the carrier out and inner seals replaced, is there anything i need to know / do when re-installing the carrier back in? Pre-load? Shims...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I am at that stage where i am about to now remove the carrier on my front axle to replace the inner seals.. I have seen allot of reference to using the "Rag" method but still looking for details on how that works.. Anyone know?

Short of a case spreader, from all accounts the rag method is the best route to take (Correct me if i am wrong)?

Once i have the carrier out and inner seals replaced, is there anything i need to know / do when re-installing the carrier back in? Pre-load? Shims?

Bare with me as this is the first time i have ever torn apart a dana60 front axle :)

Cheers,

There is no adjustment for the carrier bearings side load on the D660 - The shims take care of that (sort of) Hate dana axles... Just put it in the same way it came out. Keep the bearing races on the same sides as they came out, etc...

As for getting it out, mine just came out with no real issues, I don't remember having to put a bunch of force into it.

O.D.

Club Member
Thanks Guys...

It just plopped right out!!!!

But man oh man do i ever hate installing new seals :)

I now get to start putting everything back together.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I've never pulled a carrier that needed a case spreader.
I think it's a rare thing from what I've heard either that or I've been very lucky

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
yeah, I remember it took some coaxing when I had to pull the carrier out of my old Dana 44 but definitely didn't require a spreader, good to see you got it out.