QOTD: Should we use front outer axle seals?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
My custom front axle came with extra seals at the outer end of the tube. They mount on the shaft near the u-joint and seal to a side edge of the knuckle C. Wondering if I should keep them, especially since they're worn and I haven't found replacements?

This is sort of like the shock boot debate, is it better to limit the mud and water going in even though it limits the mud from getting back out and drying the tube, or let crap get in and out freely?

So far I've had these axles 7 years...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

R

Root Moose

I dunno. Every time I think about building an axle I waffle on this point. To date I haven't bothered - there is enough other stuff to spend money on.

In your experience, Richard, did the outer seal seem to work as a seal? Have you removed the axles at any point over the course of the last seven years and seen crud in the tubes?

On of the arguments against that I've heard is that if you have external crud (i.e. water, mud, whatever) in the tube you are better off to let that material air dry quickly without the seal hampering the air flow.

FWIW, the D30 that came on my XJ (MY01) had little plastic deflectors at the tube end to keep crud out. They aren't water tight but they would keep mud from going into the tube unless there was a lot of pressure involved. This is the first vehicle I've owned that had these little doohickeys.

junkpile

I like taking those plastic doohickies off so I can hose out my tubes before the mud dries into cement.......On the other hand if your ball joints and wheel bearings are good and you keep them good, putting those outer tube seals could save you a dollar or so at the car wash, and maybe save you some money on gear oil, having double the seals to keep the water out. Don't forget about the good for the environment aspect too;)

J33P

I ran the tube seals for quite awhile, it kept the big stuff out, but once dirty water made it's way in there, there was no way to get it out. I don't bother anymore, Id rather have it drain out, if the inner seal is leaking, I'll know quick enough and can change it, if I use the outer seal, then I don't see the oil and if there was dirty water/mud that got behind the seal, thenit could make it's way into the diff and I wouldn't know.

I think we are talking about the same thing? Something like these
http://www.shopjeepparts.com/front-axle-tube-seals-dana-198706-wrangler-cherokee-p-7446.html

IIRC the replacement seals were the same as the inner ones, there are 2 of them and the gap is usually filled with grease.

R

Root Moose

Man, those things have gotten cheap over the years. I remember them being over $100.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Not as fancy as those, here's the seal:
axleseal..jpg

And they seal against the bright ring on the C:
axletube..jpg

I haven't cleaned this tube so as you can see the crud was kept out but water has gotten in and mostly out but probably didn't dry for a long time. And I did see the oil starting to leak early which is a good thing.

I know, I pretty much answered my own question, I just wanted to start a discussion and see what other's experiences were while sharing mine. Let's hear some more :beer:

J33P

Can you get a number of it if you clean it? if so, call general bearing. it sure looks like an axle seal, probably d60 or d44 I would think in order to make it easy to find.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
That's just an extra outer seal, there is an inner seal at the diff. I brought in a similar seal for the stub shaft to GBS and they can't get that style.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I've been trying to avoid the stress of dealing with them again, they haven't been much help in the past. When I ordered the axles I asked for a parts list and never got a reply. Oh well, maybe things have changed in the past 7 years.