Rad mount

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Looking for suggestions on mounting up the new rad (click on thumbnail for larger pic).

Bottom:
rad+001.jpg

Top:
rad+003.jpg

First thought was a couple of 1 1/2" straps just cradling the bottom and top of the core along the header with a bit of rubber to insulate, but I'm not sure if the header looks strong enough to support the entire rad. Second though was a couple of straps at the top, and a cradle across the entire header on the...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I vote for option 3 with a rubber isolator between the tabs.

In my mind, that puts a lot of stress on the core with the rad just being supported by the tanks. The saving grace being how "isolated" the grill is from the rest of the frame/body, I can't imagine it will twist much, but any force would put the core in tension/compression. Hell, I'm even somewhat worried about heating/cooling cycles with the side mount approach. Am I over-thinking this too much? The side tab option would certainly be the easiest.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
In my mind, that puts a lot of stress on the core with the rad just being supported by the tanks. The saving grace being how "isolated" the grill is from the rest of the frame/body, I can't imagine it will twist much, but any force would put the core in tension/compression. Hell, I'm even somewhat worried about heating/cooling cycles with the side mount approach. Am I over-thinking this too much? The side tab option would certainly be the easiest.

Mine in the buggy has been mounted like that for 6 years now with no issues. :beer:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Mine in the buggy has been mounted like that for 6 years now with no issues. :beer:

Yeah, I spent yesterday going through your build thread to see just that. Now to get it welded up - anyone on here TIG weld? :)