RotRunner

NRTYota

Club Member
Sold my pickup in the winter and bought a project truck and a bunch of parts this spring, started working on how I wanted to go about building it, sorting through the parts I got and so on.
Plans changed when I found a first gen 4runner for cheap and liked the idea of a family wheeler, well the wife did, lol
So of course because it was cheap it was rough, so forth the name "RotRunner"

Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

junkpile

She doesn't look tooooo bad for a first gen. Nice find. Is that the one from out Hawksbury way? What are your plans?

NRTYota

Club Member
She doesn't look tooooo bad for a first gen. Nice find. Is that the one from out Hawksbury way? What are your plans?

Its not real bad but its rusty and has some bad spots of rot for sure.
Current plan is to repair the body, give the frame and drive train a once over, cleaning it up an check it all out. Going to look at making some half doors and hopefully have it all done by spring. Future plans are SAS, gears an lockers, full roll cage, thinking about dual t-case, 33-35 inch tires

NRTYota

Club Member
Figured out the fuel pump problem. It was a bad relay, just need to order a new one now.
This is the second time I've had this problem on a truck I bought and both times it was the same thing. Not sure why the guys didn't check the the relay.

NRTYota

Club Member
Progress was been slow with renovations on the house taking priority but got my parts cab over to my place and started tearing it down

These will be my half doors, chalk line is roughly what it'll be like after the cutting

Pulled the 33's off my parts frame, they got some weather cracks from sitting but hopefully I'll get a season and bunch of fun out of them

Customizing the original hinges so they have removable pins so I can switch between my half doors and regular doors

Picked up a tailgate in a lot better shape then my other one, will clean it up and switch over my lock and should be good to go. At least I have something to start with, other one was just a mess.

Tried out the 33's, crazy how well they fit without any mods, I know they will rub for sure but now I can figure out how much of a lift and what mods I'll have to do to make them ride nice even under full flex.

Last edited:

NRTYota

Club Member
Got a bit more work done now that the weather is getting nice.
Started working on the body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
You have far more patience for body work than I ever have - I would send that to the crusher.

Function > Form

Club Member
Not really body work if all you use is a sawzall ;)

Looks like more fun in store with lots of potential. Get the flap disc out!

The 33s look great on there. If you paint it black, can I call you Marty from now on?

NRTYota

Club Member
When I put a hammer through the frame rail I started to rethink RotRunner and after looking around kijiji one night I found this 4runner.
And after a little trip to Toronto I now have a lot nicer base for my build and might actually make it to spring fever this year.

Might need a new name for the truck because this thing is not a RotRunner.

The one on the left is the new truck and right is the RotRunner

NRTYota

Club Member
Got the other 4Runner for a great deal but was told it needed a head gasket which was for sure...

Once I got it home released the reverse was also gone so decide to just swap the drivetrain and motor, so last weekend buddy came down to give me a hand and drivetrains got swapped.

Had to cut the floor open a bit to have room for the shifters..

This week I got the clutch pedal swapped and the line run from the master to the slave.

Have a couple differences in wiring I have to figure out but hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have it all figured out and running.
So far it's looking good to have it done for spring fever.

NRTYota

Club Member
Been awhile since I updated my thread, bit of rush to get the truck up and going for spring fever last year but it was a successful year last year, had the truck out a couple times and for the most part worked good.
Found that first gear doesn't stay in gear unless you hold it (which I'm still trying to figure out)

Also spent most of spring fever Friday night fixing my brakes that decided to stop working once I got to the dam, luckily I had another master cylinder

Last edited:

NRTYota

Club Member
Pulled the truck out of the snow bank last week and got some work done this past weekend.
Lights, cb, rear locker

Couple parts ordered over the winter,

Lights installed

Some wiring issues fixed, radio and CB installed

Rear locker installed

Next thing I'm thinking of doing is putting in some custom spacers I made to try and get a bit more tire clearance. Cost me less then 20 bucks to make and put in so I might give them a try

Also have a rear bumper in the works right now

NRTYota

Club Member
Brining my thread back from the dead on the RotRunner.
Was hoping to spend the winter wrench on the runner but as usually life got in the way, I ended up spend a good part if the winter fixing my Little blue TucTuc lol. Got it running good after pulling the motor twice

Today was the first day back working on the Runner since last summer
I need to do a few things before I can take the runner out this year
- fuel tank repair (last time I had it out I noticed it leaking)
- rear bumper ( stock bumper was ready to full off after smashing it on rocks for two years )

At some point I would like to get the truck safetied, I have a list of things I need to to get to that point but if I do it all at once I wont have a truck for awhile so I’m going to do what I can over time
I going to try and do the rear fenders this year before get out
- rear fenders

Started with pulling the fuel tank skid plate, as you can see it was pretty smashed up

Surprisingly only had to cut off two bolts

Fuel tank was also pushed up pretty bad from two years of rocks, so much that the sender unit was actually bent

Also had the shop dog hang out for awhile, king Cooper

Last edited: