sport cage

louie

Looking for some opinions from the guys that know how to bend pipe. Thinking about adding to the stock roll bar to make it stronger, I know it is polishing a turd but doing it as a trial run so to say. See how bad I can fuck up with a bender. I get the concepts about it all just not sure where to go with the windshield tie ins. Which would be better/ stronger?

this method or.....
http://www.oldjeep.com/images/YJ/RandomJeeppics/photos/photo28.jpg

this way...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
You talking about bending vs welding?
I can't add much but I have read that the flat plate down sections on the a-pillar as in the second one are inferior (no lateral support) enough than a proper tube they completely undermine it.
My 0.02 (I can give you change if you want)

louie

You talking about bending vs welding?

yes on the first one all they do is cut and notch to tie the windshield to the cage. In the second one they have a bend, I am assuming there would be a tab at the bend in the second one to attach the a pillar to the windshield frame. this is all on the a pillar, I should have been clearer. as for the a pillar stanchions I was going to go with tmr's because of the way you tie the 2 of them together then build the rest of the a pillar off them. From what I perceive is that the weak point is how the other guys make them with a flat spot over the dash as the tie in.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yah, TMR's looks like a better design, definitely a lot better than the stock one for sure

louie

let me know what you need for sheet metal and I will do what I can to scratch it up

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
You may know this already but just to clarify for anyone reading this, you should use tube instead of pipe, tube is made for structural use. Tube does require an expensive bender though, but there are club members that can help with that.

louie

You may know this already but just to clarify for anyone reading this, you should use tube instead of pipe, tube is made for structural use. Tube does require an expensive bender though, but there are club members that can help with that.

yes sorry I said the wrong thing, yes I have a tube bender and notcher. its a manual but gets the job done.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

Note that George/BlueAngel's buggy is built with pipe, not tube, if I remember correctly. It's from a metal supplier, and not the same poop pipe you pick up at Home Depot though.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Note that George/BlueAngel's buggy is built with pipe, not tube, if I remember correctly. It's from a metal supplier, and not the same poop pipe you pick up at Home Depot though.

There is such a thing as structural pipe, but I think you're still better off sticking with tube for simplicity.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Decent sized piece for the dash. Don't have the measurements in front of me, but I know it's over 48" wide, meaning I'd need to pick up a full 4x8 sheet to make something only 12 or so inches tall.

louie

I pulled a cpl favors for someone else there should be some left from that piece if there is enough I will get the piece cut for ya.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I pulled a cpl favors for someone else there should be some left from that piece if there is enough I will get the piece cut for ya.

:beer:

Apparently it's 57 1/4" x 9 3/4", so 58"x10" if you can. Thanks!