Test drove a half decent WJ last night - good for a project ($3500)

Function > Form

Club Member
I test drove one of the non-HO JGC's last night (4.7 V8), a 2000 with *apparently* 129k on the clock, which matches the dash, the interior (such minty minty fresh beautiful leather seats), and the body panels (oiled). The underside is pretty rotted though (all around the pinch welds, and the main supports from the frame rails were hole-poke-able) and needs lots of metal work/attention. It's up on kijiji for $3500. I have pics of the underside if anyone wants to check them out.

He said...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I test drove one of the non-HO JGC's last night (4.7 V8), a 2000 with *apparently* 129k on the clock, which matches the dash, the interior (such minty minty fresh beautiful leather seats), and the body panels (oiled). The underside is pretty rotted though (all around the pinch welds, and the main supports from the frame rails were hole-poke-able) and needs lots of metal work/attention. It's up on kijiji for $3500. I have pics of the underside if anyone wants to check them out.

He said he's done almost a complete front end rebuild, but to me it didn't look like anything other than the front axles (new boots) and maybe drag links, I didn't look too hard after seeing the rust. The ball joints looked pretty crusty still, doubt they were done. Only a very minor PS seep, otherwise the engine seems dry. New tires on it, new muffler but just clamped in. The oil may have been overfilled IIRC, not sure if that was to hide noises or just an oversight...

But hey if anyone is looking for a project, the engine purrs like a tiger (LOTS of get up and go), the suspension (no creaks, no pops, very smooth, predictable) and brakes (tracks straight even with a quick stab) seem well sorted although a bit soft in the suspension department, but no surprise there for a GC. The front drive shaft was not in, but this has an NP247J - Quadra Trac II which are pretty good TCs.

I will not be buying it. The owner (Dave, a manager? at Meineke on Carling) is supposedly putting on new rockers and doing some underside work. Not sure how legit this guy is or the actual mileage Too far gone for me since I'm looking for a decent DD. Sounded like he just wanted to unload it.

Worth someone checking it out.

(Bolded for clarity) With the new safety laws I would be ensuring either they ensure it gets safetied or at least provide who did it.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
With the new safety laws I would be ensuring either they ensure it gets safetied or at least provide who did it.

He didn't represent it as safetied or e-tested.

I'm unsure how much work is really needed, but I'd be hesitant to flex this one out until it was significantly reinforced (and safetied if going on the road).

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
As Andrew found out when he got his safetied the laws are really strict now. None of the aftermarket bumpers would pass, anything over 20cm (I think of weld) to either the frame or body (I also think) would pass unless done by qualified welder. [MENTION=526]Logan[/MENTION] knows more. Pretty much every Jeep I have seen on Facebook would never pass anymore. Granted there are ways around this...

Function > Form

Club Member
As Andrew found out when he got his safetied the laws are really strict now. None of the aftermarket bumpers would pass, anything over 20cm (I think of weld) to either the frame or body (I also think) would pass unless done by qualified welder. [MENTION=526]Logan[/MENTION] knows more. Pretty much every Jeep I have seen on Facebook would never pass anymore. Granted there are ways around this...

Wow...did not know that.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
As Andrew found out when he got his safetied the laws are really strict now. None of the aftermarket bumpers would pass, anything over 20cm (I think of weld) to either the frame or body (I also think) would pass unless done by qualified welder. @Logan knows more. Pretty much every Jeep I have seen on Facebook would never pass anymore. Granted there are ways around this...

Let's hope they don't start making us pass safety every year like other provinces.

junkpile

The new rules stipulate stock ride height and tire sizes too. Makes you wonder about how dealers are selling brand new trucks fitted with aftermarket lifts and oversized tires... hmm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
The new rules stipulate stock ride height and tire sizes too. Makes you wonder about how dealers are selling brand new trucks fitted with aftermarket lifts and oversized tires... hmm?

Next time I am at a dealer I am going to ask them. If I was to guess they took one from the playbook in the gun laws around bullpup rifles (can't take an existing gun and convert it to one but if it came from the factory then that's ok).

junkpile

Well yeah that’s the whole thing, the dealer ain’t no factory! (Bad grammar intended) They’re privately owned, contracted retailers.
On another note, I seem to remember BDS working with Jeep on factory approved and ministry tested suspension lift kits. I wonder where that ended up? Or are they available? I’ll have to refer to Mr. Google

...so lift kits can’t interfere with the proper operation of a vehicles electronic stability control system as per “FMVSS 126”. Here’s a link to a more complete explanation,
https://www.jackit.com/fmvss

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Looking at the fact when I got my JK from a dealer in October and had to use a deadblow about a month later to remove the tires after it was safetied (can you safety a car without removing the tires to inspect the brakes?), I suspect that there is some shenanigans going on about it. My guess is that they would safety it first and leave the date off, modify it and then date the safety.

Well yeah that’s the whole thing, the dealer ain’t no factory! (Bad grammar intended) They’re privately owned, contracted retailers.
On another note, I seem to remember BDS working with Jeep on factory approved and ministry tested suspension lift kits. I wonder where that ended up? Or are they available? I’ll have to refer to Mr. Google

Last edited:

junkpile

Ah yes well that’s all part in parcel of living where we live. Aluminum alloy hub centric wheels mated to bare steel rotors plus rust belt = toight!

Function > Form

Club Member
Next time I am at a dealer I am going to ask them. If I was to guess they took one from the playbook in the gun laws around bullpup rifles (can't take an existing gun and convert it to one but if it came from the factory then that's ok).

haha the topic turning to guns didn't take long ;)

Yeah, this is total BS. I read through a bunch of the safety reqts...holy so much more rigorous than before. Soooo many vehicles will unnecessarily be destroyed or exported. What a complete waste. I can see where they are coming from for some of it but DAMN too far.

...so lift kits can’t interfere with the proper operation of a vehicles electronic stability control system as per “FMVSS 126”. Here’s a link to a more complete explanation,
https://www.jackit.com/fmvss

Good thing I don't have any of that crap, but I can't imagine that I wouldn't lift a future vehicle. I feel like aftermarket stuff is going to get really expensive.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
haha the topic turning to guns didn't take long ;)

Not by intent but more out of commonality, but it is obvious when a government decides to start setting up rules it is easiest to get inspired around the gun laws. Another example is the laws New Brunswick was talking of setting up for safe storage of marijuana was cut and paste straight from the RCMP website about gun storage.

Function > Form

Club Member
Not by intent but more out of commonality, but it is obvious when a government decides to start setting up rules it is easiest to get inspired around the gun laws. Another example is the laws New Brunswick was talking of setting up for safe storage of marijuana was cut and paste straight from the RCMP website about gun storage.

For sure there are commonalities. I can see the storage laws being similar due to risk of kids/thieves getting stuff out of a gun safe/stash.

I was going to make a joke that we should all be libertarian, but I like some rules, I just find it hard to understand rules that are only there to protect the lowest common denominator... the new safety laws are partly that. Most people don't know how to turn a wrench, let along check their oil...seems that vehicles are turning into big iPhones with wheels. Only the newest and shiniest can be permitted to drive on the roads...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Most rules are just smoke and mirrors to make voters think the govt is looking out for them and actually doing something more than collecting a paycheck. Two perfect examples right now are the new one to allow cops to do blood tests without justification for pot (hint, pot is not alcohol just because you have 2ng of THC in your body does not mean that you are impaired especially if using CND/THC blends) and of course C71 but I digress.

For sure there are commonalities. I can see the storage laws being similar due to risk of kids/thieves getting stuff out of a gun safe/stash.

I was going to make a joke that we should all be libertarian, but I like some rules, I just find it hard to understand rules that are only there to protect the lowest common denominator... the new safety laws are partly that. Most people don't know how to turn a wrench, let along check their oil...seems that vehicles are turning into big iPhones with wheels. Only the newest and shiniest can be permitted to drive on the roads...

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
The new safety laws give lots of loop holes in them as well. You can weld frames, but has to meet or exceed factory specs... but what are factory specs? You can lift, as long as the vehicle never came factory with an air suspension. You can do up to 2 sized bigger tires as well.
Best thing to do is down load the MTO safety book (about 90 pages) and read it several times.

Function > Form

Club Member
The new safety laws give lots of loop holes in them as well. You can weld frames, but has to meet or exceed factory specs... but what are factory specs? You can lift, as long as the vehicle never came factory with an air suspension. You can do up to 2 sized bigger tires as well.
Best thing to do is down load the MTO safety book (about 90 pages) and read it several times.

I must have missed th loopholes. All I saw was that there is no repair allowed within 5 cms of frame rail or pinch. Inside the two areas it was 20 cms max distance across the hole that was repaired. Maybe factory specs would be established based on the FSMs? Dunno. I'll have to read the whole document in its entirety I guess.

This is a big hit to our sport.

Mlorint

You can run any size tires as long as they are on the specified rims (ie no 12” wide tires on 6” wide rims)and do not hit the vehicle. No limit on lifts but there are headlight and tail light height specs.
Any bumper that is not oem does not pass other than trucks with lift gates etc.

I have talked to the mto and can clarify any questions if anyone has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junkpile

The rules are really up for interpretation too, like the bumpers can’t be modified or inferior to OEM...

So as that reads I’d have no issue signing off on a truck with an “ARB style” full width plate steel winch bumper. BUT I’d probably question some minimalist tube style with a giant stinger....

....and it almost could be interpreted to mean that a vehicle can have a hole in the floor as long as it’s no larger than 20cm or within 5cm of a structural member, and not in an area where occupants or cargo can fall through...