the time has come - need a builder...

bzzr2

hey everyone. my tracker is 5yrs old now, the ifs has been beat, broke and repaired under the mfg's warranty for the last 5yrs but the warranty is gone in a month therefore the ifs must go too. i cannot build shiat, i have a basic understanding of things however i cannot do anything like this myself. i'm looking for a basic sas with a sami front. before anybody jumps on this and thinks no problem, the axle and brakes and steering don't just bolt up like the 1st gen kicks, there are some...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

R

Root Moose

Sounds like a job for Scott.

Add a Toy or Dana front axle, change the rack for a saginaw or Toy steering box.

Season to taste.

:)

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Sounds like a job for Scott.

Add a Toy or Dana front axle, change the rack for a saginaw or Toy steering box.

Season to taste.

:)

X2

Upgrade the suspension joints that Scott/Pete use from the puny TRE's to something more durable.
Wouldn't the 4" wider frame pretty much exclude the Sami front option?

Mike Lorint did a sweet job on his rig, he could likely do it also.

bzzr2

X2

Upgrade the suspension joints that Scott/Pete use from the puny TRE's to something more durable.
Wouldn't the 4" wider frame pretty much exclude the Sami front option?

Mike Lorint did a sweet job on his rig, he could likely do it also.

i'm hoping the sami front is still an option but am not sure.

R

Root Moose

Nope, Sam front is way too narrow to be useful. I haven't eyed the parts this decade but am pretty certain.

Either go Toy axles front and rear or a combination of spacers to get back to a 5 on 5.5" lug pattern.

Or build a front Dana that is 5 on 5.5".

bzzr2

the frame is wider on the 2nd gen tracker but the track width is not, 1st and 2nd gens still have the same stance but run narrower a-arms on the 2nd gen. 1st gens run the sami's all the time with wheel spacers to get back the 3 or so inches of lost track width after installing the solid axle. my main concerns is spring mounting location with a sami axle. otherwise another inexpensive choice that should allow for gearing to match up to a zuk rear would be a 82-86 jeep d30 widetrack front. offers 3.5inches more width and of course has a passenger side diff. not sure about the strength of this vs the sami front. yotas front and rear would be great but money will be limiting the final product, however if somebody has a set of axle's with 5.29's in them i'd probably buy them and see what happened..

Last edited:

szabotage

you may also want to keep in mind that you can't order brake parts for a sammi no more. (at least calipers)

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
The price difference to use Yota or Dana over Zuke is minimal, especially since you don't already have the Zuke one.
You need all the same parts regardless of the axle except that you'll need some massive wheel spacers with the Zuke axles.

Was part of your thought with the Zuke front that you could keep your stock rear axle?

Z

zuk4life

axle

you need axles from a international scout 2 they are dana 44 .they will work perfectly same bolt pattern as suzuki. i was going to used the frame from a 2004 vitara under my 1995 sidekick so i could put in the v6 but i got a deal on toys so the 1995 frame stayed you need the scout axles they will make the install cheaper and easier

R

Root Moose

Only problem with the Scout II front axle is that it has no caster built in. You'll have to turn the knuckles to get some caster.

It's also low pinion - if you care about such things. And the hubs are weak... and... and...

Also, rear axle has small diameter and thickness tubes.

I suppose none of that really matters when being driven by a Suzuki engine though.

If you want Dana I'd look at FSJ stuff. Otherwise run Toyota (i.e. Aisin like the rest of the drivetrain already on the Suzuki) mini-truck.

Last edited:

bzzr2

i'd like to look at the sami front as my 1st option, as this will allow me to keep my stock rear axle. a lot of guys seem to have good results with the 1st gens built this way from my research.