This weekends progress

J

Jason

Well, got fed up staring at the tools and the pile of tubing in the backyard and gave it my best shot.

Started Friday afternoon when I got home from work @ 3:30pm

Started cutting to length and bending the main door surrounds, and cargo area.
Then worked my way onto the straighter pieces like the rocker tubes, and various other connections.

Saturday was spent mocking and cutting some stuff up and then notching them to fit really well on the receiving end.

Sunday was notching and more...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

J

Jason

More done this weekend, just re-read what I wrote last weekend and couldn't understand 1/4 of it.

Pictures do the talking.

I am surprised no critiques but whatever.

Jimbog

Club Member
Looks great Jason , I like the way you did the door entrances , when I did my truck we did not have a bender on site , that was 8 years ago, so we just went with some strait tube, but now that we have a bender I think I like the look of some bent tube in there.I find that the tubing comes together really quick , its all the small stuff later on that is time consuming.

G

Gadzooks

Yeah I second Jimbog it looks good. Would you consider fabbing up a couple things for me?

J

Jason

Yeah tubing came together WAY faster then I though it would. In total maybe 3 days of work.

Door entrances were derived from another chassis I saw, and liked so I "copied" it. Really easy to get into, well as easy as it can get, crawling into it.

Gadzooks: What are you looking to make?

Thanks for the props.

J

Jason

Little more done tonight, just chopped the cowl in two and tacked it together for where I need to open up the tranny tunnel.

Now I need to figure out how I am going to mount my clutch and brake masters... Right in the way is the carb...

D

Dannyboy33

Looks good, how much did you end up cutting out of the middle?

Jimbog

Club Member
are you wanting this to look like a Jeep, maybe build your own firewall out of some 1/8th or 3/16 ,and weld it to the jeep cowl? sometimes it is easier to work with a fresh sheet of paper ,so to speek.

Jimbog

Club Member
Yea, 3/16 what was I thinking, but if he has a really heavy foot maybe just aroun the gas pedel area, speaking of Pedle did you know John that he is back? Remember Martin. Hi jack over. Sorry

J

Jason

Dannyboy33: I ended up cutting 11 1/4" out of the middle to get it even with the edge of the tubing. I think I am ~47" outside to outside.

BillaVista: I was looking at the Wilwood website last night but it was late and just got a quick glance at it. I probably could run the Wilwood setup either forward or reverse, even floor mounted I have a blank canvas so to speak, just have no idea what to do, never encountered this before.

Jimbog: I have a feeling that might be where it is heading, I wanted to get that up there for one reason, to see where to place the cage on the frame and have it same distance as a stock tub.

Mini-T: No rear section, might us the tub as a template for skins but probably gonna fill it with scrape and away it goes.

Mud Lite: If it comes to that, 1/8 for main wall and 3/16 for high pressure areas.

I guess since I am going to fab my own floors I can mess with some stuff, I will be using a hydraulic clutch instead of the rod & pivot junk.

Going to look long and hard at the Wilwood stuff.

J

Jason

The floors are really good in this tub, its the rockers that are shot (was going to boat side it but got the itch for tube!) Only weird thing is where the seats mounted in the front the nut-serts broke free.

You looking for a good floor?

Mini-T

Sasquatch
I am. I found a big hole in the back over the gas tank. I haven't looked under the carpet up front, but I know there is one bad spot I'll have to deal with.

J

Jason

Well you know where I live so if you want I can either take pics or you can take a boo for yourself.

Got alittle done tonight.
You can see where normally the YJ booster would sit, right in the way is the carb/linkage. Same goes for the steering column too. But I will be shifting everything over about 5-6" to compensate for the narrower cab.

Lots of room to run floor mounted pedals. Wilwood makes some nice units for a decent price. Probably going to see what room I have up top once I get the steering wheel in and then decide if I go floor vs. firewall mounted.

Use this for the brakes:

And this for the clutch:

Thoughts on the brake choice at all? Those Wilwood masters would be 1" bore from what I read on PBB about manual masters. And seem to be popular with road coarse stuff.

The brake pedal has a bias bar that allows you to adjust F/R pressure, kind of like a prop. valve. (which I have and will probably still plumb in.)

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Those pedals are very popular with the buggy crowd and work well. Saw a few last weekend.

If you have the balance bar there is no need at all for a prop valve (and removing it is one less possible leak path)

J

Jason

I have seen those and the CNC counter parts in quite a few buggies on PBB.

I read that too that a balance bar takes a prop valves place, but didnt know if it was enough to actually make a big difference for pressure, thats good to know!

Also that my bore sizes are wrong. Most seem to run 3/4" F&R OR 3/4" front & 7/8" rear.

Probably just going to try the 3/4 F&R and see where that takes me.

Thanks for the info.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Your work so far looks great. I just have one concern about those brakes, are you going to have enough braking power with that? Doesn't look like it can accept a booster either. Anyone on PBB using it in a heavy buggy of similar weight to your's?

Richard

Buster

Club Member
The 4 seater Jeep (Silver tub) in Adrian's teaser from BigDogs runs the Dual willwood masters with no power assist. Pretty sure he runs discs at both ends though. Bill, did you notice if this is the case with Charlie's Jeep?