This weekends progress

J

Jason

Seems that all the rigs I have seen are full-sized buggy type deals. (V8, big tires, big axles) down to moon buggies and nobody has flinched at that braking setup.

Don't get me wrong here, I would love to run a booster/master I already have but the brakes just wont fit in there.

I might be able to run just a manual master cylinder but even that will be very close to the filter.

The Wilwood's aren't like hydro boost brakes but apparently they do the job.

I am running discs front and rear, same calipers/pads/rotors all the way around to keep it simple.

J

Jason

Let me know when your done with the tub and I'll drop by to check it out.

Ok, will do.

That is a joke to end all jokes, just to come out one morning for work and see that next to your car... :lmao:

No work today, just went to a local shop and swapped my tires to new rims.

I could potentially roll this thing into the sunlight tomorrow! Probably get bombarded with a million questions from the curious.

J

Jason

Didn't get as much as I would have liked but something is better then nothing I suppose.

I figured my cowl was way to high so I put it under the windshield bar and it fit much better.

Also just loosely bolted in the brackets for the steering column and poped the steering shaft on and there is no bind with my angles so all is good.

Way I see it, I am going to have to cut out and replace the drivers side portion of the firewall, just WAY to many holes from other crap.

So for now I will mock things in and just use the holes as a template and cut something out later.

Slammed a seat in to see if I screwed up any of my measurements and all was good, plenty of room around the wheel, excellent elbow rest, tons of room for floor pedals and lots of leg room. (Seat is temporary till I find better.)

Tacked in some supports for the body to be finally free of the wood board I was using to keep it up. Only got the two back and two fronts done but I will end up with 4 in the rear and 4 along the "rocker" tube.

As always ton more pictures in the Gallery

Thanks for viewing. :beer:

J

Jason

Got some more done but seems like I am standing still if not going BACKWARDS!

Tied in the pass. side to the frame and ground off all the body mounts.

Got enough done to slap some wheels on this sucker and roll it out for its first time into daylight (boy did I get some weird looks that night!)

What are you talking about officer, its road legal!

My brother seems to like it.

It WAY WAY to high for my liking and its only on 31's (measure 28") with 8.25" under the pumpkins, 75" to the top of the B-pillar, sitting at 101" WB.

Going to try and mix up a set of stock CJ rears and Richards old RE's for the front and 4 link the rear and try and get it a a little lower to Terafirma. Eventually when time and $$ permits, 3 link the front.

Narrowed the hood down but still needs ALOT of work, sorry no pics did that Sunday.

Also putting this piggy on a diet as much as I can. So once the joints and brackets get here for the linking, off comes the rear 1/4 of the frame and replaced with tube.

Thats the plan thus far, working outside again this winter! Gonna be FUN!

QUESTIONS:

Can't decide on Air-shocks or coils? Cheap ass in me thinks coils but ease of adjustment & clean looking is air-shocks.

What is a good belly height? I am ~23" to the bottom of my skid now (remember 28" tires, planning larger)
So if I went to a 38 that measures 37 in reality, I would be at a 32" belly height.
Thinking way to high IMO, so if I lower this down a good chunk I guess I will have to see when i get there.

Any thoughts?

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
26" seems to be the max consensus for belly height. That is about where I am and I think it is too tall, but you being full width, it would most likely be just fine...

J

Jason

With a stock windsheild on, where does the cage lie? Is it higher or lower than the top of the windshield frame? When your in the seat, how much room do you have to the cage over your head? Looks like you are coming along! Let me know if you need a hand at all.

:smokin:

I will stick it on and see, with the seat at a good height where I would like it, I have about 3" till my head would hit the cage. Any lower and the rear CV would hit the seat.

26" seems to be the max consensus for belly height. That is about where I am and I think it is too tall, but you being full width, it would most likely be just fine...

Cool so I should shoot for roughly 22-24", you have a point being full width but I dont want to be riding high like Big Foot.

J

Jason

Well I am bring this back from the dead.

Been a while since I got a good profile picture.
Here is where I left off last winter.

I have since finished the rear suspension work, minus bump stops and limit straps. Shocks are in and use all 16" of travel from full bump (first picture) all the way to full droop.(no picture because that's a whole lot of droop)

Rear of the cage has been gusseted as best as I can figure.

I need to do more under the door bars and add in handles on the A pillar. But I need more tube for that.

Tired of looking at the coil-overs and all the bushings and brackets I had for the front suspension that I SAID I was going to wait to do later and just run the leaf springs for the next season was a LIE!

SOOO I cut those spring mounts off and tacked up mounts.
Promptly finding out my treasured H1 Hummer rims have WAY to much offset to run a link style suspension comfortably.

J

Jason

If any mods/admins read this, I suppose this belongs in the public section and pinned.

Thanks.

J

Jason

Wednesday, didn't get any work done, had to get my hair cut and back straightened out.

Thursday, managed to get the upper/lower frame mounts boxed, welded, ready to go. Also got the old steering cylinder mount cut off the axle and some flat bar in for the truss/upper link mount.

I will be adding a support from the upper shock mount to the c-pillar.

More pictures are in the Gallery as always.

Jason.

J

Jason

Finished up the lower control arm mounts, boxed in and welded.

Started on the truss/upper control arm mount.

Currently in a holding pattern until I can figure out what I am doing with the steering.

Packaging would be difficult for both a double ended or single ended system.

I like that the double ended cylinder would eliminate the tie-rod but don't want the "flying bridge" appearance off the front of the differential.

Anyone have input?

Thanks,
Jason.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Swap it to the back side of the axle?

With the double ended style, consider building the mount into a skid/ramp to help get the front axle up on things. Just a thought.

J

Jason

I would really like to do a double ended system on the back but am a little worried about contact with the upper control arm.
I have seen it done with 4-links, so I suppose I could make it work. I will have to make a "mock" cylinder and see how things will work.

I guess if I can manage to cram a double ended cylinder behind the axle, It would leave the front open for the pan-hard bar.

With the tie-rod behind the axle, at full compression, it tucks up right in front of the balancer pulley.
I did it like that so I wouldn't have any trouble from the axle smashing the engine. Only downside to that was it pushed my WB out to 112"

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
112" WB isn't a downside. That's what mine is stock.

I'll trade off a bit of turning radius for the climbing ability anyday.

J

Jason

I didn't mean it as a horrible negative, its just quite a stretch from the original 93.5" that I started with.

You can get around that turning radius with cutting brakes or dare I say it..rear steer!

Looks as if I can fit a cylinder behind the axle bit it will be tight, have to make a run to cohens tomorrow but should be able to get started on the bridge.

Last edited:
J

Jason

Got a little bit done since the last time I added pictures. Everybody likes pictures.

That little project took a while because I am getting lazy. Ended up being 8 feet of welding.

Hints of what are to come.

J

Jason

They turned out really nice, was painful to cut them up though, but thats just me.