Thursday overnight to Friday overland trip

badcompany

Club Member
Any one up for a Thursday overnight to Friday overland trip?
Where- don't know open to suggestions
When- well on a Thurs to Friday before the summer is over
Who- anyone who wants to come
Why- Because we have to get out and do something this year.. Well I do and I'm sure there are others.

post up if interested of if you have an idea of where I can go for this..

Thanks guys..

badcompany

Club Member
Some pics of this unfinished :) A gravel trail kicked my a$$. Just kidding but ill be finishing what I started soon If anyone whats to join...

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Great attempts, did you eventually make it up? And how do you like the Taco for Ontario trails so far? I'm thinking of getting one.

badcompany

Club Member
I crushed the exhaust. :) tacoma is not bad. Its no jeep that's for sure. I got it because I needed a truck platform, something with a bed for landscaping. If I did not need a truck I'd be in a 4runner. Wheelbase not to long, can sleep inside if needed and hands down can out wheel a tacoma.
The front ifs is rally a love hate thing.
Love daily driving it but wheeling something that dose not have a solid front axle i have to be more careful.
I've had it for about 2 years now and for my long trips I have in store ill take the ifs and moderate wheeling capabilities over the solid axle option trucks. Its comfortable. August 2021 I'm planning a trip to tuktoyuktuk. So comfort is a rally big deal.
Honestly tacoma 4runner jeep all to small.
But you work with what you have.....

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
That's pretty much what I thought, it is a compromise but a pickup would be more practical and comfortable for me. And I'm due for a change in off-road machine, less capable just means more challenging ;)

badcompany

Club Member
Agreeded make a wise decision and best of luck finding one, there is a ton of them out there should not be a problem.

badcompany

Club Member
If you do end up getting one make sure you do due diligence with lifts and rim offset and what it take to run 35's if that is the direction your going.
Its a big Pain but once done its nice....
oh and start a build thread something i wish i woiuld of done...

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Yes, I will have lots of reading to do before I start anything. Maybe if the price is right I'll get this:

badcompany

Club Member
lol. your going in the wrong direction...were old and we don't do that anymore... hahaha.

Willing to bet that is a 10k kit if not more..

Last edited:

trixter192

Club Member
I NEVER had issues with steering fatigue, not sure what that hype is about. If you want a cheap FJ cruiser, mine is just rotting away in the front yard.

bzzr2

If you go up to Tuk check in with me in advance, I may be up that way by then. Otherwise I have been there and did a lot of the northern routes, basically went North at Winnipeg and stayed North so I can point you to some interesting areas.

As for the Tacoma's I've had two, my 2018 TRD off road was upsetting on the road because the auto trans was just terrible. My 09 was manual.. I got into a Gladiator for a bit, then it tried to kill me with death wobble and I just wasn't going to deal with that crap on a 60K Heep. I am now into a Colorado ZR2 Diesel and wow, so much better than my Tacoma's were.

I'm up for overland style trips before winter. I am off Thurs Fri Sat weekly.

badcompany

Club Member
^^^ thank you I'll just let you know now b4 I forget, plans are to take all of August 2021 off and go up to tuk and back.
About this winter I'm just playing it by ear..
Thank you for replying to this thread and hope we can meet up sometime..
cheers.

bzzr2

Good plan! I spent about 3 weeks if I recall correctly beyond the Yukon border on my trip up that way, wish I had spent more! Here is a link to my trip, I think I had posted it somewhere on this forum before;

It has been too long... I regretfully passed up a work opportunity up there this spring for one in Ottawa. Right now I am only finding opportunities for my type of work in NWT which just isn't as awesome as Yukon.