Tire blowouts

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So on our way home from the US last month I had one of my trailer tires bow out. Luckily a dude behind me in a camaro saw it happen and got me to pull over as I had no idea and even if all my tires blew out I'm sure it would not even phase the motorhome. It happened just past Ottawa on the 417.

I have been thinking about it but I think with my setup I am reliant on drivers around me to alert me to tire blowouts on the trailer. I've done some reading about people buying after market...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Badweld

Ive had straps and items ( spare tires, tractors, entire trailers popping off the ball ) come loose on my trailer and because of the camper I haven't seen them until I stop. Ive thought about it and I think a camera is the answer. I haven't shopped for one but Id like one that has two cameras (one for each side of the trailer) and one monitor.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Does your new motor home not have a back up camera?
And if it does is the resolution good enough to see the trailer tires?
I agree with Dan, Cameras are probably the best option.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I agree with Dan, Cameras are probably the best option.

But only if you actively check them, which can be a problem. And getting the right angle to see a flat on the rear tire on the trailer might be problematic depending on load. TPMS would be an audible or highly visual warning. I like the camera idea too, but I think it'd be too easy to miss something while bombing down the highway.

My 2 cents.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
For sure, the RV of course has the rear camera that is always on, but it is mounted up high and I only have a top angle view - plus on my vintage it is black and white and hard to see far. I used to have an aftermarket rear camera on the truck and it only lasted a couple years before it stopped working so I don't put a lot of trust in those - plus I would need two which would get pricey.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
For sure, the RV of course has the rear camera that is always on, but it is mounted up high and I only have a top angle view - plus on my vintage it is black and white and hard to see far. I used to have an aftermarket rear camera on the truck and it only lasted a couple years before it stopped working so I don't put a lot of trust in those - plus I would need two which would get pricey.

With the RV, could you not look at home security camera/PVR options? You've already got the 120v inverter in place, and wifi cams for the home stuff are pretty cheap in comparison. They could also be mounted on the trailer that way. Just a thought, and something easy to plumb into any existing displays in the RV.

trixter192

Club Member
Find a security camera that uses 12VDC adapter, then there's no need to use the inverter at all, or does your rv have 24v electrical?

I think you should setup a system where the cameras alternate every few seconds, then you can know whats going on from all angles without taking your hands off the wheel.

HD cameras would be nice to get a clear image of what's going on.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I've blown a tire too and didn't know until I turned left. I always check the driver side tires when I turn, they are easy to see ... the passenger side however, I never know what's going on over there.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
I was browsing my suppliers site. Hopkins makes a TPMS system with a 75' line of site that can monitor 24 sites at once.