Tire carrier hinge?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Use a small axle spindle from a trailer, they work like a charm. That is what mine came with from JCR Offroad.

Conestoga

I'm running the Comp4x4 1750 lb. dual shear hinge & haven't had any complaints. The 'dual shear' bracket took some tweeking but other than than I've been happy with it. They use a trailer spindle as well & ran me about $140 shipped if I can remember. I ordered it raw with no spindle cap. Then I picked up a de-sta-co clamp at Ottawa Fastener Supply on Robertson Rd, I don't remember how much it was but I think it was pretty close to the same price as the spindle kit

Baja

Richard I have one that I will not be using. I think it is a trailer spindle type. I will dig it up tonight and take some pics.

rikker001

The only thing wrong with the axle spindle is that most are cast and if abused like mine it will break. That being said mine lasted 3 years before giving up and snapping off but only because I was stupid and didn't pin it properly.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
A lot of the TJ guys build with parts from AtoZ:
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/home.php?cat=274

As for latches, my favourite design by far is NOT latching it at all. I've seen a couple of guys build mounts to attach the carrier arm to the tailgate so that you when you open the tailgate, it opens the tailgate AND the tire carrier. This way the weight is carried by spindle and bumper, but you don't have to open two things to get to your rear cargo.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Richard I have one that I will not be using. I think it is a trailer spindle type. I will dig it up tonight and take some pics.
I'm interested to see what you have Scott.

Doesn't look like that latch has a locking mechanism. Supposedly the DeStaCo 341-R is one of the better ones out there. last thing you want is it coming unlatched while driving down the road.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/STA-CO-341-R-Action-Threaded-U-Bolt/dp/B0006NC6AI/ref=pd_sbs_indust_3

My old bumper had the non locking and it never came loose. As long as you adjust it right it will stay in place. That said if I have a choice I might as well get the locking one.

The only thing wrong with the axle spindle is that most are cast and if abused like mine it will break. That being said mine lasted 3 years before giving up and snapping off but only because I was stupid and didn't pin it properly.
And this is why I pointed to purpose made or sold hinge kits, to me it's worth paying a little extra to spend less time fiddling with this, I'd rather be wheelin' :D

As for latches, my favourite design by far is NOT latching it at all. I've seen a couple of guys build mounts to attach the carrier arm to the tailgate so that you when you open the tailgate, it opens the tailgate AND the tire carrier. This way the weight is carried by spindle and bumper, but you don't have to open two things to get to your rear cargo.

I'll have to look at some of these latch-less designs, do you have any links? I like the idea and I've tried to think of such a design, I'm just worried it would put too much stress on the tailgate.

Thanks for all the input, I only want to do this once.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member

Something I thought of is link the tire carrier to the tailgate like you propose, but use the latch on the tire carrier and remove the hinge pin on the tailgate. Still only one latch to operate and both open, but would be stronger as the left side of the heavy tire carrier gets a place to rest and hold in place.

Baja

uploadfromtaptalk1365549821449.jpg

This is what I have. Let me know if it is what you are looking for and we can work something out

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I didn't know about TMR Customs, I'll definitely consider them.

Scott, I see some rust on the outside what does it look like on the inside? What diameter is the shaft?

Baja

I have never taken in apart so I dont konw about the inside. The bearings seems to move pretty freely. THe shaft is about an inch or so. I will get an exact measurment tonight.