Tire coverage / flares - What is tolerated?

C

Cummins Land-Rover

So, what has been everyone's experience with law enforcement and tire coverage in Ontario and Quebec?

My rig has rubber sticking out of the fenders about 3 inches. I have flexible rubber fender flare material on it right now to keep it legal, but it looks really bad, and it's coming off in some spots. I had originally anticipated that the truck would get a lot of looks from the LEOs but now that I'm on 37s with a small amount of lift, it seems pretty sedate and even blends in with traffic...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Just noticed this question ...

I'm outside the flares about 2". I haven't been hassled, but my Jeep is not a DD... I posed this question to the club about a year ago, the general consensus was that as long as it wasn't blatantly huge, the likelihood of being stopped for that infraction specifically would be small. I suppose in your case, you could try, and if you do get stopped for a violation, hope that you just get a warning and have to put your ugly flares back on.

S

SWest

THe LAW!!

Ive been down this rout before lol, The law states,

You must have reasonably adequate coverage from offspray. The key words are Reasonably and adequate. The police officer can take your plates off or send you to MTO to get a safety if they think it is not adequate or resonable.

Your best bet are large mudflaps and keeping yourself under the radar. (No loud music and fifteen hotties hanging off the back of your truck) This has gotten me in quite a bit of trouble in the pass. :lmao:

But yep the top part is what is in the traffic acts and what Ottawa Police told me when I asked my Pops! So be Reasonable and Adequate and your good to go.... Same goes for relationships!!! But thats a different story!!

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
There is also the issue of the weather. There is no roadspray if the roads are dry. I've known a couple guys with roadsters and no tire coverage at all. Never was an issue to them 'cause they only drove when it was sunny.

Also think about a highway tractor without the trailer, only a mud flap on the back, no top or front coverage.