Tire Questions

S

SWest

TSL Super Swampers non radial or BFG MT's anybody have some advice.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
it depends: DD or hard rock/heavy metal. IMHO if it is even partly DD than BF. hard rock - TSL. thats why me is using 2 sets tires/rims.

Last edited:

leadfoot

Club Member
The BFG's are better on road, but the swamper is a hell of a lot tougher and more durable offroad.

Buster

Club Member
TSL Super Swampers non radial or BFG MT's anybody have some advice.

Swampers..Swampers!!!! and they look like you mean business too. Are you still looking at 36's? they could be the last set of tires you have to buy, mine are on they're third different vehicle!

S

SWest

yep

im looking at swampers but must make sure they are flat tow possible too!! hows yours on road. I dont want them fading away in a year because I flat tow!

Buster

Club Member
im looking at swampers but must make sure they are flat tow possible too!! hows yours on road. I dont want them fading away in a year because I flat tow!

My tires spent the majority of their life driving on the road. The previous owner drove them for 2 whole summers with the rear diff locked (filled with lead) and the still have tread!!!! John, you there? How long did you street drive the 34's???

G

Grumpy

My experience with Bias ply tires was that they lasted forever on the road....they are a much harder compound than the radials......BUT these weren't offroad tires I had......and the BFG's are a softer compound anyways which would wear quicker whether they be used in flat towing or daily driving instances.....having said that I have been a big fan of the BFG MT's...and now they have introduced the new KM2's...which feature a similar tread pattern to the Krawler.......fucking sick if you ask me...in fact I am in a similar situation......between the very two tires you mentioned......the BFG's are a minimum of $200 each and the SS TSL's can be had for about $140 each, (Summit Racing). So for the money I personally am leaning towards the TSL's...however I have never used such a tire offroad and have no idea how they perform......yes there are many others who wheel this tire but every truck and driver skill and style is different......also, these tires I will purchase will never be used on a DD....the rig will be trailered everywhere, and occasionally they may see the pavement but only to get to another part of a trail......Finally...I think Adrian has the same tires, same size and when they are cold he claims they are like "square blocks"....until they warm up...so if you're in the market for a rough ride in the morning...the TSL's are just the ticket!! So in closing, the TSL's will be cheaper, last longer but will give you a rougher ride when cold. The BFG's cost more but are almost as durable (certainly for a Zuk anyways), and will give you a soft ride.

P.S. The new BFG MT KM2 is only available in new sizes at the moment with the original KM tread pattern being phased out by the end of this year......check www.summitracing.com for more info...and Andrew claims they have killer shipping rates on tires.....

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Just to clarify on Steve's (Grumpy) post, I have TSL SX's, they are stiffer and notoriously worse on the road than regular TSL's

But yes, all Bias tires need a "warm up" period to smooth out...

Have you considered Truxus? They seem to hold up well off-road and have decent on-road manners...

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
I have a chance to drive TSL radials and TSL bias in a short period of time and was able to compare them:
- TSL radials - 33/10.50/15 - for about 200 km. Surprisingly quiet on the road, was able to balance them, still can count the blocks on the tread in certain speeds, very good handling on the road, no vibrations, etc. Dunno how long they can last. Perform perfect off the road. Actual size mounted on the wheel - way below the sidewall size.
- TSL bias - 34/10,50/15 - for about 150 km so far. Noisy big time. Impossible to be balanced. Square wheel feeling all the time up to 80 km/h, can count the blocks - no matter cold or warm. Vibs like crazy. Dunno how they perform off the road - have no chance to check. Dunno how long they can last. Actual size close to the sidewal size, still below.
and Andrew claims they have killer shipping rates on tires.....
$6 per tire plus $10 handling for a set up to 35 or 36 size.

S

SWest

Purchased

I have purchase TSL/SX's, I only flat tow the rig and drive back and forth 5 or 6 times a year to the Zooklounge in the summer.

Anybody hear that stuff about TSL's coming apart at highway speeds because of heat?

Im going to sipe and re-groove them that should help with heat displacement.

any comments on that question!

D

Dannyboy33

I run the Trxus and I drove my Jeep everyday on the highway for a year and there is still tons of thread left they were even good in the winter. I have had them on for 3 years now and still really like them for what I do,.

Buster

Club Member
I have purchase TSL/SX's, I only flat tow the rig and drive back and forth 5 or 6 times a year to the Zooklounge in the summer.

Anybody hear that stuff about TSL's coming apart at highway speeds because of heat?

Atta Boy!!!

BillaVista

PrettyBoy

Siping and grooving will not cause a noticable reduction in heat. Running too little pressure will cause any tire to overheat and disintegrate - more so with bias than radial - but correct pressure is critical to either.