TJ gets a facelift

brylade

Hey All,

Going to give the TJ a facelift over the month of April. Mostly cosmetic and add some mount points for trail gear, convert the rear tub to a box (like a truck) with bedliner for entire interior and new fenders and new paint. A hood louver is also in the plans. Pics to come over the next month as the work gets done.

Looking for some suggestions on what to make the box cover (gauge of steel) out of, and thoughts of gear beyond the following (mostly day trips, I have camping gear...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
This could be interesting to watch.

16g-18g for the box cover I would guess. The body is 18g and the torqueboxes are 18g but are you planning on strapping anything to it?

Chain? For what? I think you meant tug strap right? Usually chains are considered a no-no in our sport as a tug strap is less dangerous if they break and will pretty much do the same thing.

Cheap Multimeter would be good (@Kunker can attest to that)
First aid kit should be there as well
Parts (u-Joints, axleshafts)

Last edited:

brylade

I have 2 tow-straps (different lengths and thicknesses). The chain is for dead trees that have fallen across the path. It digs in and gets better grip than the straps.
Never thought of the multimeter.

Do you really carry spare driveshafts etc on a week to week basis?

I had thought I'd just limp out and fix that once I got it home if I lost a drive shaft.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
That makes sense then, what about chain saw then?
I don't DD anymore so I leave the old front shafts in the back, seriously doubt I will break 8.8 chromo shafts on 33's let alone 35's in the future. For the front I could see tweaking an ear more than anything

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Cheap Multimeter would be good (@Kunker can attest to that)

Yes, I will vouch for that.

The chain is for dead trees that have fallen across the path. It digs in and gets better grip than the straps.

And I'll also vouch for that - chains are great for pulling logs.

Do you really carry spare driveshafts etc on a week to week basis?

Driveshaft, no. U-joints, yes. Axle shaft, maybe. If you have old spares, it's just as much work to throw it in as it is to fish out all of the crap from a busted shaft to limp home with unit bearings, especially since you need at least the stub in to keep the unit bearing together. If you've converted to manual locking wheel hubs, not so much.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
My spare shafts still have the old hubs from my old LP30 on them, when I did the HP30 I bought new hubs, depending on when I do Chromo fronts I may just sell my old spare shafts and hubs together and keep my present shaft and hubs as spares again.

junkpile

Cool project, have you considered aluminum for your box lid? A sheet of 10-11gua would be plenty strong, light and rust free. With a bit of framing you could dance on it!

brylade

I had not, but I will consider it. I do want to have some tiedowns attached for strapping things on top, but I assume that they could be bolted down to the framing under the skin.

brylade

Its only 1/2 yellow, 1/2 matte black. I wanted something different than all the full yellow ones.

junkpile

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432933414.970471.jpg
Ooooo and what have we here?
Any build thread on whatever this is?

Do it now because later has a bad habit of becoming never

trixter192

Club Member
Looks a lot like Tim Brennan's TJ.

Then again, all Jeeps look the same to me.

/Mitko

Last edited: