TJ stretch shock placement

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So my buddy Chad has stretched his TJ about 6 inches in the rear, he's not 100% sure hows he's doing the rear shocks so i suggested using shock buckets vs. shock hoops like these...

stretch 1.jpg
shock4.jpg

i've seen this many times on TJs and think it's probably the simplist way to mount them, does anybody have any experience with this way or another of mounting shocks on a TJ stretch?

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Just to add, he's runniing full width axles, his original plan was to mount them by using shock hoops which still require to notch the frame for articulation clearance, i have read that guys use Ford F-150 shock buckets available at any dealer for cheap vise the aftermarket ones.

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
I've never heard of the ford towers on the rear but do see them on the front allot.

If he's not going to inboard the frame, then i think what you have there is the best approach. Gets them away from the inner tire but still a stout enough support. I also see that most who go this route are still able to keep it all on the outside of the sheet metal and don't have to cut holes in their rear fender wells.

Impact

With my web wheeling experience I've seen the ford towers ($30 US each est) used on the rear in cutting/notching the frame. The biggest thing is to make a mock up cardboard piece tower and place it kinda where you want it... Tack the axle end and place the shock on the axle end... Cycle the axle/suspension with someone holding the upper end of the shock to where your upper mount is... The biggest thing I've been reading is where guys don't angle it front/rear correctly and cut/notch/weld and then when the suspension cycles the center section of the shock smashes against the frame preventing any movement. Just my 2 cents. Also there might be something about the shock mounting in the Clayton instructions he used to notch the coil mount...
Stupid cell phones... Fawk!

Impact

With my web wheeling experience I've seen the ford towers ($30 US each est) used on the rear in cutting/notching the frame. The biggest thing is to make a mock up cardboard piece tower and place it kinda where you want it... Tack the axle end and place the shock on the axle end... Cycle the axle/suspension with someone holding the upper end of the shock to where your upper mount is... The biggest thing I've been reading is where guys don't angle it front/rear correctly and cut/notch/weld and then when the suspension cycles the center section of the shock smashes against the frame preventing any movement. Just my 2 cents. Also there might be something about the shock mounting in the Clayton instructions he used to notch the coil mount...
Stupid cell phones... Fawk!