Tow bar for long distance?

M

Morley

I found a truck that I want to buy, but it's located in Quebec city..
So I have to tow it back to Ottawa, about 5 hr drive.

I'm told the truck has a tow bar on the front like this:

Can I tow the truck all the way back home with this?
Or is that asking for trouble?

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
You can, you will need a safety chain between the two vehicles and some magnetic lights to be legal....

Make sure that what you use to tow it with is a lot heavier that what you are towing or it will suck...

R

Root Moose

What John and Adrian said - pull the shafts for certain.

FWIW, I towed my Scrambler back from Montreal in that manner with the XJ. It really sucked because an XJ really doesn't have the weight to control a load that size without trailer brakes. Your 4Runner won't be a lot different I'll guess. If you can bum/beg/borrow a full size something I'd do it but the 4Runner will do it in a pinch as long as you are "sane" and have perfect weather conditions.

The Scrambler was SOA with 35s and really redneck steering. Caster was all wrong so that didn't help.

HTH

M

Morley

I'm towing home a 91 4Runner on 38.5's SAS.

The truck that I am using to tow it back with is my 97 Tacoma V6 4x4.

I'm thinking she'll be chuggin at 80kmh, but if it's safe and doable, I will proceed.
Thanks for the tip of the D-shafts... I've done this before on another rig I towed home on a tow dolly.

can I buy these Magenetic tow lights somewhere for cheap?

Jimbog

Club Member

I'm thinking she'll be chuggin at 80kmh, but if it's safe and doable, I will proceed.
Thanks for the tip of the D-shafts... I've done this before on another rig I towed home on a tow dolly.

I have a set of tow lights you can borrow, and a tow bar. I used to tow the LJ80 everywhere, twice to Bloomsburg PA. (8 hour drive) behind my 1989 suzuki sidekick. untill I bought a single axle trailer. Just take it easy on the 90 degree corners. It will want to push your assend of the tow vehicule. I live out near Casselman ON. which is on your way to Quebec City. Or I work in Ottawa on Conroy rd. everyday, you can pick them up here. Let me know

Richard

Commoner
Club Member

Or if you want to buy a set I have one for $20, hardly ever used them. I can bring them to the meeting tonight.

Be very careful with that tow setup, the difficulty won't be power to pull but brakes to stop and like Jim said, going around corners. It's all a matter of which truck's mass and momentum will win.

And legally you are supposed to have "tow brakes" on anything towed above 2,000 lbs. But that's very expensive for flat towing, and it's very unlikely any cop will get you for that. Another reason to use a tow dolly (with brakes).

Also, will it be plated and registered? Someone else mentioned this is necessary for flat towing, see this thread (member's only):
http://ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=573

R

Root Moose

FWIW, I had a few cops pull along side me at speed in Montreal and give it the once over. Not sure if they were looking for chains or just admiring. LOL

At any rate, they didn't pull me over.

R

Root Moose

Oh, and it you can, maybe mount smaller tires for the trip? If you can carry two of the big tires in the tow vehicle and two in the towee it might distribute the load better. No idea if that is practical with your vehicles. I would have tried that if I had my time over again.

JAT

Edit: LOL what John said. It's a very valid point about the angle of the tow bar (Bt/dt with the CJ8).

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Oh, and it you can, maybe mount smaller tires for the trip? If you can carry two of the big tires in the tow vehicle and two in the towee it might distribute the load better. No idea if that is practical with your vehicles. I would have tried that if I had my time over again.

JAT

Edit: LOL what John said. It's a very valid point about the angle of the tow bar (Bt/dt with the CJ8).

I'd put all the cargo weight (tires, spare/extra parts) in the tow vehicle, that's the one that needs the mass advantage.

R

Root Moose

Agreed - if the tires will fit. I don't have anything on 38s but I can't imagine being able to fit all four inside a 4Runner of any vintage.

M

Morley

Anybody here with a trailer or bigger truck want to make some money :D
Come with me and haul it back, I will pay you for it, and cover off the many pints after the trip :D

Jimbog

Club Member
Anybody here with a trailer or bigger truck want to make some money :D
Come with me and haul it back, I will pay you for it, and cover off the many pints after the trip :D

Just sent you a PM. Jim

M

Morley

Looks like I am driving up tomorow. Providing the weather conditions are good.
And Either hoping that he let's me drive it back home with his plate and insurance, and then mail back his plate and insurance slip, or I'll have to drive back up the following weekend with a day permit to drive it back...

Hope it doesnt have a death wobble. :(

M

Morley

Still willing to pay for someone that can haul it back for me :D