Toyota 8" ring and pinions

badcompany

Club Member
well this is my 3rd year wheeling my 4 runner and I'm on my 3rd rear ring and pinion.
I attribute this to wheeling in rear low range for the better part of most trail runs.
ill only engage the front when needed.
was going to go down to 4:88 but decided its not worth it so I'm sticking to the 5:29's.
QUESTION: Who makes the strongest 5:29 ring and pinions and where can I get a set.

thanks in advance.

Buster

Club Member
Adrian has a lot of knowledge in this area. From the research I have done , Bearing preload plays a large part in the durability of the R&P set up. There was a site that a rebuilder had up showing how much preload he would apply but I think he may have retired. One of the Toyota forums may have links to his set up.
found the web page.
http://www.gearinstalls.com/

badcompany

Club Member
IMAG0254.jpgwell there goes another one spring fling, craig lake and minden hydro line and replace........
there's got to be a better way.....

anyone got a 80 series rear for sale?

badcompany

Club Member
just a quick question about gear ratios.

does anyone know if its would be possiable to run a 538 gear ratio in the rear and a 529 in the front.

what im getting at is replacing the Toyota rear with a dana 60 and leaving the front alone.

thanks.

Badweld

I think a 538 may be weaker than 529s.
Look for an fj40 60 or 80 rear with a 9.5 inch ring gear. That way your bolt pattern is the same.
My FJ80 rear is from a 97 Land cruiser and it has full floating shafts with disc brakes.
But an FJ60 would be good with semi floating shafts too.
If you stick with 8" ring gear. Make sure the backlash is tight (I run 5 thou but thats offroad only) .

junkpile

Not sure if my math is correct but there's slightly less than a 2% difference between the 5.38 and 5.29 so there'd be no issues running those ratios together off-road.

badcompany

Club Member
IMAG0290.jpgwell I have a professional putting togeather another 3rd for me and I'm in the process of finishing another housing and after all this if it breaks again ill do the fj60 rear.
that being said ill start to look for one now or an 80 series or someone selling their set up.

Badweld

Dont rule out the 9 inch, or the 8.8 ford. But they dont have the right bolt pattern. Ya the fj60 is a good rear for an upgrade.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Doesn't the Tundra or T100 also come with a bigger rear diff? Toy parts aren't my strong suit though. I presume these are V6 3rds/gears you are breaking?

Badweld

Yes thats a better option. They are more common. Ive read good things about them. I dont know a lot about them though.

badcompany

Club Member
you guys might not know all that much about them but I know just a fraction of what you know. well I did a quick search for a tundra or t100 rear diff on carpart.com and kijiji and nothing. ill take my time and find something down the road.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
The v6 housing has different gears and bearings and is a pile stronger. you can get a v6 rear out of a Taco (regular or e-locker) and a high pinon front from an FJ80 and they bolt right in to the regular axle housing.

With 350hp and the v6 rear in my buggy I had no issues but I was also just running 410's - That being said, I could not keep R&P in the front - rather than spend the $$$ going to the hi-pinion, etc in the front I took the plunge to D60's.

Justin is right though, tighten the crap out of the side adjusters, it helps a lot. :beer:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
As for the FJ60/40 stuff - The R&P might be bigger but the pinion design is weaker. The jury is out on whether is it stronger or not that the 8" toy setup. They usually snap the pinion shaft.

trixter192

Club Member
Fun fact regarding the late model Toyota stuff. Toyota dropped the 8 inch to go to an "8.25 inch" (or 8.4 inch if you actually measure it) in 2010. Regardless of that, the 9.5" Tundra axle is a popular replacement for the 8" such as my own. There's plenty of them on car-parts.com, priced between $1000-2000. The trick is to get one at a good price in eastern Canada. It's still pretty expensive compared to an old ford 9" or similar, but they are compatible with Toyota's ABS sensors. The 8 inch don't last very long on a supercharged FJC/1GRFE, and 06 production models were prone to break.

Last edited:
G

gearinstalls.com

Hi Badcompany-----
Just happen to be in the neighborhood and the strongest might be G2 or Nitro......I have run a 538 in the front and 529 rear....it's a 1.7% difference and it works.
ZUK (Ken)

badcompany

Club Member
Ken thank you and thanks to all for the knowledge you gave me.
G2 gears are being installed and there in a v6 or land cruiser third with a full Detroit.
I'll post a pic when I get the third back.
I might end up running the 538 in a 60. Or 14 bolt on the rear and keep the toy front with the 529's.
I have a Ford 8.8 with locker but don't know if the gear set 514 will work with a 529 toy

G

gearinstalls.com

Ken thank you and thanks to all for the knowledge you gave me.
G2 gears are being installed and there in a v6 or land cruiser third with a full Detroit.
I'll post a pic when I get the third back.
I might end up running the 538 in a 60. Or 14 bolt on the rear and keep the toy front with the 529's.
I have a Ford 8.8 with locker but don't know if the gear set 514 will work with a 529 toy

Relative to the 514 gears, the 529 is a full 3% SLOWER turning......if you're going to have a slightly different gear ratio then try to always get the rear to a HIGHER numeric ratio relative to the front and that way the front is turning slightly faster than the rear....and the front PULLS the rear. Better to have the front pulling then the opposite. Been there done it. 3% faster turning rear tires would be noticeable to you.....you would feel the front end sliding sideways like I did on my set-up....at least you would on certain steppy ledges that were hit at off-camber angles. Some hardcore mudboggers desire the faster turning front tires relative to the rear tire speed. I don't know how much of a gear ratio change they do on the front but apparently it helps them steer thru the muck better with the front "pulling".
G2 Gears......post some pattern paints when you get it back ;)
Ken

Last edited: