trail-gear group buy

szabotage

I just emailed Trail Gear for possible price breaks depending on quantity purchased. I'm interested in their 6.5:1 tcase gears and toyota hi steer kit. if anyone is interested in some trail gear stuff PM me what you want.

http://www.trailgear.ca/default.cfm?fa=home

I don't mind helping out others outside of ottawa but prepayment and pickup will be necessary. the furthest I'll travel to is Perth, ontario

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Low Range Offroad sells the same stuff and their prices are significantly cheaper
6.5 gears: $475 vs $548
Hi-steer: $285 vs $328
With Trail Gear as a Canadian supplier and don't have to go get them is a bonus

Depending on how good the price is I might be interested in the Hi-steer or Toy 4.7 gears (or both if I'm allowed!!)

Last edited:

szabotage

already considered low range. they sell trail gear parts so I'm convinced I can get a better deal straight from trail gear. also, trail gear is already in canada so I'd rather deal with them than anyone over the border.

J

Joust

I'm definitely buying some stuff from them.
Count me in.
i need a few things.

knuckle rebuild kit.
IFS box mount
High steer kit
maybe a dual case adapter

When do you plan on placing the order?

G

Grumpy

I got a list...prolly about $2500 worth of junk to buy.....if I can save a few $'s, that's great!! (Toy High Steer kit and spool or Lock-Right and 6.5:1 Zuk t-case gears are at top of list)

Last edited:

Buster

Club Member
I just emailed Trail Gear for possible price breaks depending on quantity purchased. I'm interested in their 6.5:1 tcase gears and toyota hi steer kit. if anyone is interested in some trail gear stuff PM me what you want.

http://www.trailgear.ca/default.cfm?fa=home

I don't mind helping out others outside of ottawa but prepayment and pickup will be necessary. the furthest I'll travel to is Perth, ontario

Hi Mike,
Does that high steer work with a Suzuki steering box? If so count me in for 1.

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Don't buy knuckle rebuild kits from Trail Gear!!

They are 10$ cheaper but use JUNK chinese bearings. I made the mistake trying to save 10$, the Marlin ones use Koyo bearings. Waaay better. I have had awesome service from Marlin Crawler. If you guys wanted to go to a stand up supplier I would be in for some stuff (edit: a good rebuild kit to begin with), TG is junk.

J

Joust

we should come up with the final list and get quotes from multiple sources.

J

Joust

They are 10$ cheaper but use JUNK chinese bearings. I made the mistake trying to save 10$, the Marlin ones use Koyo bearings. Waaay better. I have had awesome service from Marlin Crawler. If you guys wanted to go to a stand up supplier I would be in for some stuff (edit: a good rebuild kit to begin with), TG is junk.
thanks good to know.
is that the same with the dual case adapters?

D

Dirk

I am planning to buy some TG stuff.

Front & rear lift, and dual T-case setup.

G

Grumpy

Yeah....but is it just the bearings in that kit that are junk? I thought from the website you can order the rebuild kit without the bearings...(for those who want to replace the wipers and the like...)

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I am planning to buy some TG stuff.

Front & rear lift, and dual T-case setup.

From what I have read, you are WAY better off with Marlin's dual case, I'm saving up for it rather than the TG one. Mind you Adrian has the AA one and he ain't exactly easy on it....

S

SuziCrazy

Shitty, I just bought my locker, spool, and hi-steer from them through PJF4X4...

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
From what I have read, you are WAY better off with Marlin's dual case, I'm saving up for it rather than the TG one. Mind you Adrian has the AA one and he ain't exactly easy on it....
My AA one was Marlins first design that he licensed to AA, his new design has bigger bearings, that is the only main difference...

For the price difference go with Marlin if you can....

D

Dirk

Don't want to turn this into a tech thread, but as far as I can see the Marlin MC07 and the TG kit, seem to differ in the main bearing choice only.
I like the 5209W bearing, it a no brainer that its superior.
But with the limited power (62 HP Diesel) that will push my rig, I think the TG should be able to handle it. And I figure its close to $200 less shipped to my door.

(wish I had access to the tech forum) :(

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Don't want to turn this into a tech thread, but as far as I can see the Marlin MC07 and the TG kit, seem to differ in the main bearing choice only.
I like the 5209W bearing, it a no brainer that its superior.
But with the limited power (62 HP Diesel) that will push my rig, I think the TG should be able to handle it. And I figure its close to $200 less shipped to my door.

(wish I had access to the tech forum) :(

Are you in Ottawa? Become a member, it has its privledges!

S

SuziCrazy

He really did, I did my research and on some items he was actually getting them to me cheaper than it would have been for me to go and get them at the UPS store. I didn't mind the drive to Vaudreil (1:45 min) either.

szabotage

So what would be the timing for this Group buy?

I was planning to make an order by the end of feb. I think that's plenty of time for those interested to decide what y'all might want and save up.

I think it'd be a good idea to hit up other suppliers for any deals but I can only do so much on my own. I'll do my best to 'work' trail-gear for the best price but if anyone else can get a better deal, I'll spend my money there.

for those interested in volunteering to call lowrange or other dealers selling same/similar products don't forget to ask for any sponsorship goodies to OVO events (suzican,spring fever) I'll do what I can to get trail-gear swag :D

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
I am planning to be putting an order into TG in the near future, could be as early as next week. but depending on the rates may wait a bit..

Some of the items on my list are:
knuckle rebuild kit,
high steer (toy)
gussets
creeper gussets
diff guards
back plate eliminator kit

MY lockers will be coming from Aussie..