Trail Run-Quinn Trail Dec 16th ( CANCELLED!!! )

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Run to the Quinn Trail December 16th. Leaving Bells Corners Zellers @ 8am, making a quick stop at Antrim around 9am. Minimum 33" tires with locker or winch. Expect the winch to be used, so make sure it is in A1 condition. The snow makes the Quinn a totally different place.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I would like to emphasize that this will be an extreme trail run with the snow, although lots of fun too :D Most of the trail isn't so bad, except for an off-camber hill with a steep drop off, I would hate for some truck to fall down there.

Based on my experience last year, I would recommend that you have tires with lots of thread left and good side grip, Boggers would really suck. I also think one locker should be a must.

As for myself, I'll plan on going but no promises yet.

A

ajh

Chains?

I was up earlier in the week and went in the back way for a few KM, there's LOTS of snow there now. I was on normal street snow tires and even some of the more rolling hills were interesting. If there's lots of snow you'll probably want to have chains along for this one.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
What does "in the back way" mean? You came down Norcan Lake Rd from the Mountain Chute damn? Or you came up from the Flower Station/Ompah area? Did you actually go in to the Quinn, or just on the access road? How deep was the snow on your snow tires? The snow shouldn't be as deep in the woods as there is little to no drifing. Most of the trucks will be 35" or bigger, so 10" of snow isn't much of a deal.

A

ajh

What does "in the back way" mean? You came down Norcan Lake Rd from the Mountain Chute damn? Or you came up from the Flower Station/Ompah area? Did you actually go in to the Quinn, or just on the access road? How deep was the snow on your snow tires? The snow shouldn't be as deep in the woods as there is little to no drifing. Most of the trucks will be 35" or bigger, so 10" of snow isn't much of a deal.

Just reverse from how we did it in on the last club outing there, so up Norcan Lake Road, though well pass where it became single track. I'd say there's probably 10" there now given the latest snow yesterday. I don't see a problem doing it in 32" tires really, but with some of those hills and the way the snow is loose and unconsolidated (we have this problem on the steep mountain hiking trails too right now) because we haven't gotten any rain or warm weather, it's just like powdered sugar at the moment.

If I'm in town I'm coming, I think it could be quite interesting. There are a few points though were sliding sideways is a real concern... what's the approach there since that would really suck for those of us who aren't in glorified buggies :) Roped traverses? I'm fairly new to using vehicles in these conditions (last time up the Quinn was my first chance to do some rock crawling, and I've since added diff armour and fixed my traction control :) ) but getting around in difficult to access places, especially in winter is one of my primary hobbies, usually up the side of a mountain though :)

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
As long as there's no ice under the snow the tires can dig down and get some grip. Lots of snow might even be good, it'll make for deeper ruts to follow :D

But the sidehill is still a concern. The only safety net I can think of is to attach your winch cable to a tree 20' ahead, drive, then move your cable as needed. This hill is quite long, over 200', so this method or any other will take a long time.

I want to stress again, this is an EXTREME trail run, the damage potential will be high and I don't recommend it for daily drivers.

If you want fun in the snow the Gorge trail will have plenty of challenges to offer while still being safe, or as safe as you want to make it :smokin:

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Jeff Webster memorial winter Quin run

Limitations: no more than 10 trucks! NO stockers - winter Quin is definatelly not stock friendly. NO IFS :). NO yahoos :). Winch, locker, min. 33" tires required. Bring ALL yor reccovery gears - straps, shackles, comalongs, etc.
so far coming:
me
Richard
Trevor
Adrian
Brad
Terry?

Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I know you were referring to last years group that joined ya's. Just yankin your chain. I don't have the same driving style as them (normally), and when I did resort to that style....BANG went the CV.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
RE: Trail Run-Quinn Trail Dec 16th

If I remember correctly, last time it was 1 ifs and 2 solid axles broken last year :)

C

Cummins Land-Rover

I'm in if I can get my winch on in time...

(1980 Land Rover 109/6BT/Locked rear/39s/8274/drives like a girl)

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I am wondering if we should still be going up considering the amount of snow we got.. Will the snowmobiles be using the road now? What is our rule, as long as the trail (road) is not groomed we are good to go?

Wondering if we should move this to Craig Lake Trail instead....

szabotage

arcol road and the quinn is not a sanctioned ofsc trail but you will need a trail pass from the municipality so use of any vehicle should be permitted as long as it's legally insured. this doesn't mean that it is maintained even tho groomers do pass through to get to ofsc trails off of arcol,norcan lake rd, and hydro lane.

don't take my word for it, this is info I get from the ompah 'double S' store which is the home base for the local snowmobile, atv, and hunting/ fishing clubs in the area.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I'm pretty sure when we get off Norcan Lake Rd. we end up on E102. See the trail map here:
http://cdsc.ncf.ca/TrailMap.html

And it looks like they've started doing grooming.

Calabogie, White Lake, West of Arnprior. C.D.S.C - Closed
Calabogie and District S.C trails are closed. The groomer is out packing the snow and preparing the base.Groomer has packed the TOP E105A and TOP A trail and some OF TOP E trail heading south to Flower Station. Club volunteers are finding with no frost in the ground that they are breaking through the ice on the swamps with their sleds as they try to finish off the signing. Volunteers are out signing. PONDS, STREAMS AND LAKES are not safe. Stay off all ices. Please be patient, it looks like we will get a good season this year. Please support the clubs and buy a trail permit.​
12/6/2007 10:01:06 AM​

Who knows what they'll have done by next week. It's up to you guys, I don't think I'll be able to make it.