trailer fender question

trixter192

Club Member
So this junky trailer has 3500lb axles, but 2000lb leafs or something. Part of the old leaf spring are still there, you can see on the left LOL.

It also came with passenger tires on car wheels, so I ordered new wheels, and I am relocating the fenders higher to clear the wheels.

Do you think it's okay to chop the front of the fender right off? The yellow utility knife indicated where I plan to chop. The other option would be to cut some of the middle out and shorten...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
If it was me I would definitely cut it, section it and re-weld it so it matches the rear , I wouldn't just cut it off and leave it though, rolling the dice with MTO IMHO.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
You can spring over it too! That's what I did - Then come over and we can bend up drive over tube fenders - take no time at all.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
do not just cut - as Marek said keep the shape to save yourself some headache. The wheels/tires look good though.

trixter192

Club Member
Zap zap zap

Still not attached to the frame yet. Waiting 48hrs before top coat.

trixter192

Club Member
She's all done. Also replaced a bad bearing and broken 7pt connector. Is it okay to hook my straps into themselves like this? Not many options to tie down with this crusty trailer.

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
looks good, you'll want to sleeve those straps IMHO where they are at the axle - you don't want them to start to wear and possibly start to tear. I have always used reinforced axle straps on the axles to attach the main straps to.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
You need to cross the straps too. As they are right now they don't stop the load from going sideways. They only stop it from going front to back.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Looks good! But yes, those straps will break like that...

Conestoga

Don't believe mto will let ya hook to the eyelet of another hook, it can cut the webbing when synched down. Should be running both hooks to the trailer mount & cross them up as mentioned above. Just my two cents