vehicle insurance

B

brookmillerlee

My rates have been jacked up %50 this year, increasing over $600!!!! more. Anyone know a good broker that does the modified market with reasonable rates? PLEASE HELP!!

D

DoctorPhate

I'd like to know this too but you could try Kanetix.ca

If it isnt heavily modified i wouldnt bother telling them. It doesnt effect anything except the value therefore its none of their business.

J

JeepJen

It does effect and it is their business.
Basically if you do a 2"bb and put larger tires and don't tell them. If you get in an accident they can deny any insurance claim and that million or 2 the other guy is suing for, well that's on you!
With small mods like that they wont increase your rates and if they do shop around!
With heavily modded vehicles you have to look around to even find someone that will insure you but it's possible.

D

DoctorPhate

That's retarded. Thats like saying "we wont insure you because you changed your tires from P235/75R15 to P245/55R17"

Personally it doesnt make sense to me.

J

JeepJen

Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. It's the law. And as I'm sure you know Ignorance is never a defence. Better safe than sorry. Not to mention minor mods do not change your rate (with a good company) so why would you 'not' tell them.
That to me makes no sense!

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
That's retarded. Thats like saying "we wont insure you because you changed your tires from P235/75R15 to P245/55R17"

Personally it doesnt make sense to me.

Who ever said insurance policies need to make sense?

A few years ago a guy hit a deer with his car on a normal drive at normal speeds. He does some organized rally racing so he has a roll cage and sponsorship stickers. The adjuster came over to look at the damage and immediately said they don't insure race cars so he wouldn't be covered.

They just do what they can do keep making money and lately that includes not insuring modified vehicles. You can blame the street racers for this :pissed:

So it's up to you to decide if you declare your mods to the company. They might not care you put slightly larger tires on, but anything done to the suspension they can claim adversely altered the performance of the vehicle.

One broker that can get insurance for your modified rig is Palladium Insurance, talk to Tim Snelling he's an off-roader himself.

D

DoctorPhate

Ill talk to them.

But i cant see an insurance adjuster being able to tell if i have a 1-2 inch boost and slightly larger tires.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I'm with state farm. I wouldn't go with them, they suck!!! There rule is you can pute larger tires and put aftermarket rims but once you touch supension, drivetrain they will not insure you.

J

JeepJen

I'm woth Co-operators and told them about the 2 inch body lift and 31 inch tires, they noted it on the account and informed me there was no rate change

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
We are with Meloche Monnex and I mentioned when I got it that it had a lift and 31s and they didn't blink.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Here's a tip, don't use the 'M' word (modified) as it raises red flags, instead mention additions or something.

It's good to see some companies have specific guidelines. A couple years ago someone's insurance company said you couldn't have anything but OEM. He asked about putting on winter tires or wiper blades from CT...they didn't have an answer for him :confused:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Not bad. We have an umbrella policy that has both vehicles under the house so it is a bit weird. Thing is when I bought it it was already modified. The big question is if I put another lift on what their response will be...

Good Rates 2Greys?

I've just been going based on Kanetix.

D

DoctorPhate

They already know its modified. Does it matter? If something happens and they come to look at it are they going to see a difference between a 4 inch lift and a 3 inch lift?

Can't you just say "oh thats a 4 inch? i only saw a 3 inch difference over a brand new Cherokee so i assumed."

So far every adjuster i have met was a moron just trying to get the best buck for the company. When my dad got in an accident they tried to give him 3000$ for his 2001 300M. I got on the phone and said thats horse shit. That car is worth 40 000$ new. And if you look at the used the market sells these for MINIMUM 6000 and some go for as high as 12 000$. So either fix it or come back with an amount that isn't reflective of your ignorance. And he called back the next day and said they were going to fix it for him instead of a lump sum.

B

brookmillerlee

insurance

Jeepjen is right. If you do not inform the insurance company of your mods no matter how minor, and get in an accident, they can deny your claim because of "non-disclosure" and you are up the creek if you are sued. I know they won't repair my truck if i have an accident, but the liability is what concerns me. I think they can walk away from that too. I am going to check with an insurance lawyer about that one.

I checked Kinetix, won't touch a 26 yr old toyota. Most won't touch it due to mods, they take one look at the appraisal and pics, and "sorry-check with facility". Friggin facility sucks huge. $2000 per year for a 26 yr old truck worth $1000. Stooped maroons.:finger:

Thank you YJ driver for the recommendation to check Palladium. I will look into it.

You are right Dr. Phate. The adjusters and the insurance underwriters know absolutely nothing about vehicles. Should be a requirement for the job.:banghead:

Keep in mind that you have the right to deny their initial offers to settle claims. One agent told me he had a guy denied because he added an alarm to his car. He could have faught it and won but chose not to. his loss. The same agent told me that some companies automatically deny claims as part of their unspoken rules (its against the law for them to so that), so FIGHT IT when they try to screw you.

B

brookmillerlee

Also, anyone have access to the OF4WD website. They have an insurance forum there that might help, but you can only access as a member. Pretty stupid way to disseminate knowledge to the public ( their mandate) when the public cannot see it online.

C

CdnSeries2a

I just recently tried Palladium, they don't want JUST the Rover...they want everything. ie; all 3 vehicles and the house.
Waiting for a call back with quote.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
That's what I ended up doing, giving them everything. The insurance for stock cars was similar to others but the house insurance was way higher than before. But all put together it was cheaper and better than Facility.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Yup!

--Sent from my Nokia E71--

--- original message ---
Subject: [Contact OVO-t-2344] RE: vehicle insurance
Date: June 10, 2009
Time: 12:27:6 PM

I just recently tried Palladium, they don't want JUST the Rover...they =
want everything. ie; all 3 vehicles and the house.
Waiting for a call back with quote.

J

JeepJen

You could always say you rent and your room mate has the insurance for the house :)