ZR2 SFA Swap

N

Nolan92

I starting this swap 2 years ago when I started college (big mistake) and have since then been picking away at it. Its now in its second stage even though the 1st stage was never really a finished product. I did the swap because I was sick of replacing ball joints, tie rods, cv shafts, wheels bearings, idler arms ect. Anyway on to the build from the start.

Bought the truck in 08

Went to plenty of mud...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

N

Nolan92

The stock steering box does not work so I swapped it out for a 92 chevy astro van steering box (its basically the same box just the pitman arm swings the opposite way)

this is how it sat with 56" dodge dakota rear springs up front, Stock rear springs with 2" shackle lift and SOA

Then more recently I picked up a set of 78 F250 axles D44 and D60 with 5.13's, open diffs, and a bunch of stuff missing

this is the best pictures I have of them.

Then got bored one day and decided to go mudding in the back field with my half finished truck that was only 2wd

heres where it ran out of gas lol

I didn't like the 56" springs and they were also very worn out so I bought a set of wagoneer Ruff country 3" lift springs

Had to fab new brackets for them

when I was finished it drove up hill

then this brings us to today where I just picked up a set of 16.5" rims that came with a set of bald 33x12.50's

Now I just need to finish building the axles: get gears installed, shafts, wheel studs, lug nuts, spool for the rear, fix t-case and install fixed yoke, front driveshaft, trans x-member, modify exhaust y pipe, shocks, steering, highsteer arm, and get my knuckle milled and tapped and then it will be ready.

N

Nolan92

Oh and I also still have to pick up my tires they are either 38.5 or 39.5 gumbo mudders.

N

Nolan92

Anyone here running 80's 3/4 ton Chevy Caliper? If so what rubber brake lines are you running if there is a cheaper route than just buying stock 3/4 ton Chevy rubber hoses.

N

Nolan92

Little update, When i bought the axles guy told me they had 5.13's in them, I never thought to check until this past Saturday well they were stock 3.54 gears...

So I placed a huge order with 4wdFactory this stuff should be coming in the next couple weeks

1978 Ford F250 Dana 44:

USA Standard 5.13 Gears -(ZG D44R-513R)
Install Kit - (ZK D44-REV)
3.92 up Carrier - (YC D706025)
Yukon Replacement Inner axles - (YA D27902-31X) and (YA D27902-35X)
GM D44 stub shafts - (YA D41677)

1978 Ford F250 Dana 60 (rear)

USA Standard 5.13 gears - (ZG D60-513)
Install Kit - (ZK D60-R)
30 Spline Spool (4.56 and up) - (YP FSD60-4-30)

This should put a big dent in my list of things to finish...

oh and someone buy my stuff, I found a set of 39.5" boggers and I need to save for em lol
http://ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?5937-Axles-and-such

Impact

Little update, When i bought the axles guy told me they had 5.13's in them, I never thought to check until this past Saturday well they were stock 3.54]

^ that right there sounds like someone is due for a straight up dick punch!

Nice truck! Always loved the ZR2... Especially in a nice black color all cleaned up.

Anything wrong with your front carrier? Why not just go with thick gears in the front?

N

Nolan92

No there is nothing wrong with the carrier in the front but to my knowledge thick gears for a reverse rotation Dana 44 don't exist? I've also never seen them when looking through the diff wizard.

Reason for not going with a detroit or grizzly in the front is because I couldn't justify spending that much for a locker, I would have doubled my bill lol. I also don't want to polish the 44 or the 60 any more than I have too, when the time comes these axles will be for sale in favor of a 14Bff & D60 someday.

Thanks for the compliment.

N

Nolan92

nother update well more like purchase

Ordered some of these
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_168

This is basically the steering I'm doing I'd love to do Full high steer but not right now it will be a later mod. I'm not buying this kit BTW.
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=143_208&products_id=1588

And picked up one of these (top one, bottom one came with axle i'm not sure if its a 1 ton TRE though, it is 7/8" - 18 but it almost looks as if the taper is different.

Picked up rotors the other day still need studs and nuts though

Also did some painting gotta have those wanna be reids lol

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
For what it's worth, Mike Lorint (mlorint here on the forum) can cut those adapters on his lathe if you're in need of any in the future. Mike did the exact same setup on my CJ when the Waggy axle went in.

N

Nolan92

For what it's worth, Mike Lorint (mlorint here on the forum) can cut those adapters on his lathe if you're in need of any in the future. Mike did the exact same setup on my CJ when the Waggy axle went in.

Wow thanks for the info I will definitely be contacting him I still need 2 more.

N

Nolan92

Got all the parts for my axles, now just got to get them in there.

On that note is there anyone in the Pembroke/Petawawa or surrounding area that knows how to install/setup gears for a D44/D60?? I have a 55 pack of beer for who ever wants to do it.(Or if a 55 pack is not of your interest we can figure something else out). I would do it my self but I don't have a bunch of the required tools nor can I afford them.

PM me if you are interested.

Impact

Any updates? If you decide to do it yourself let me know as I would like to learn before I do my own. Mac Transmission in Petawawa sets gears up from what Mucovich has told me :)

N

Nolan92

No updates yet...

I'd rather let someone who knows what they are doing, to set up these gears, if I had more time and money I would probably try it myself.

Thanks for the info, this will help me a lot.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
like George said, Mac's Transmission here in pet, guys have set up many local offroad guys gears - they used to be big into mud trucks so they are experienced at setting up the offroad stuff

N

Nolan92

Well I decided to tackle the gears myself since I'm a cheap S.O.B and can't afford to pay someone lol. Anyway my question is does anyone have an old set of D44 carrier bearings? I totaled the ones that came with the 3.54 gears from my D44 I want to make setup bearings but now they are kinda triangle shaped.